Point Gap for 55 Buick Special

Started by artwear, March 22, 2005, 10:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artwear

Could someone tell me what the correct point gap is for a 55 Buick Special?  It has the original nailhead V-8, but I'm not sure of the exact engine size... 262 (?)  265 (?)

Thanks,
Artwear
Some people find a problem in every solution, others find a solution to every problem.

Ohio Blue Tip

In the old days, we set them the thickness of a match book cover, or about .016". :roll:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

phat46

Quote from: "artwear"Could someone tell me what the correct point gap is for a 55 Buick Special?  It has the original nailhead V-8, but I'm not sure of the exact engine size... 262 (?)  265 (?)

Could that be a 322?

parklane

Ya, 16 thou sounds about right, and Joe, I think you're right on with that 332 figure 8)
John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Crosley.In.AZ

I used many match book covers in the early years of car stuff.

:lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Inprimer

Quote from: "artwear"Could someone tell me what the correct point gap is for a 55 Buick Special?  It has the original nailhead V-8, but I'm not sure of the exact engine size... 262 (?)  265 (?)

Thanks,
Artwear[/quote   Looked at Carnut here's what it said 55 Special,264 c.i.,points .16, dwell21-30 deg,188 hp at 4800 rpm,256 ft/lb torque,at 2400 rpm    if you want look at "car specs" Buick , 50's Carnut.com

artwear

Thanks for the info.
Will the matchbook cover or .16 guage generally work on most cars of this era?  Since the point guages have so many varying thicknesses, I assumed that the tolerences were different for different models.

Artwear
Some people find a problem in every solution, others find a solution to every problem.

enjenjo

yes it will. The abrasive on the cover can be used to clean them in a pinch too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Ohio Blue Tip

Quote from: "enjenjo"yes it will. The abrasive on the cover can be used to clean them in a pinch too.

I always used a dollar bill to clean points, when I had one, just the right amount of abrasiveness in a dollar.
Ah, the old days, now ya need a puter!
:(  :shock:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

n.c.rodder

Quote from: "Crosley"I used many match book covers in the early years of car stuff.

The problem is...... Who carrys around matches anymore :?:

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "n.c.rodder"
Quote from: "Crosley"I used many match book covers in the early years of car stuff.

The problem is...... Who carrys around matches anymore :?:

Mike

I have never carried matches since I never had the bad habit of smoking.  So , I always had to find the match book
Tony

enjenjo

A credit card will work too, and I'll bet you carry one of those :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"
Ah, the old days, now ya need a puter!
:(  :shock:

======= a tangent  here.....

a fellow at work was using a laptop to operate his friends turbo Buick V-6 car with some custom software and an emulator.

they had found some settings that were working real well, then as they sat at a traffic light the car just "quit / shut off / blahhhh / poof".... as they scratched their heads my co-worker soon realized the laptop had gone into the 'sleep mode'

Tony

artwear

If a matchbook cover and even a dollar bill are abrasive enough to clean the points, then I wonder if someone's personality could do the same thing?   Woah!  I guess we don't want to burn those points up!  Better stick to the matchbook.

Artwear