Barrett Jackson rumors

Started by sirstude, March 21, 2005, 03:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

I friend of mine told me last week that there are a bunch of lawsuits pending on the Arizona B-J auction.  The biggest is that the 54 Olds was a fake, and that B-J had certified it both to the guy that sold it when he bought it at another B-J auction, and then again at this auction when it brought all the money. Supposedly the frame is from an early Vette instead of an early Olds.
My friend was told this by an engine builder that puts together a bunch of the motors on the race type cars that go through B-J.  It is suposedly common knowledge within the restorer community.  
Has anyone out there heard anything on this, or is it just the usual sour grapes?

Doug

ps.  Bakersfield was great, even though we were only there on Saturday.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

phat rat

I don't think the wheelbase would be close at all.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Charlie Chops 1940

As I recall the car was supposed to have been an Oldsmobile stying exercise done around the time of the 53-55 Corvettes. There were a number of GM one-offs on the Vette chassis back then.

Here's what Terry Michaelis at Pro Team Corvettes has to say about the car in his March/April 2005 newsletter about the number 1 selling car;

"a 1954 Oldsmobile(actually a 1954 Corvette, VIN #E54S003701) which is rumored to be designed (customizes) by Harley Earl on a then unsellable 1954 Corvette, ie: E54S003701 (check your Black Books)...sold for $3,240,000. Who said 1954 Corvettes were white elephants and that is a world's record for any Corvette ever sold at auction...WOW!!!!!!!!!!!"

No hint of a controversy there.  In the rarified atnosphere of collector cars represented by the B-J auction I would be surprised that someone with 3.2 million fun tickets to throw away on an old customized Vette wouldn't have the ability to be informed enough. Of course there is the possibility that the atmosphere being partaken that day was purely Bozone. Buyers remorse to the Nth degree.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!