Help requested from quadrajet Gods

Started by brianangus, March 19, 2005, 01:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianangus

Roadster pickup with stock 85 small block 305 and quadrajet has been fired for first time since massive clean-up and installation from donor car.---All vacuum ports plugged on q-jet except one at rear side which went to power brakes originally-(now is plumbed to pcv valve). starts good, runs well in mid range , but will only run with choke 3/4 on at idle---stupid carburator either doesn't have idle screws, or has them sealed from factory. What do I do now ????  Don't suggest get new carburator---no money for that luxury. There must be something I can do , I just have no idea what.---on an older 4-barrel, I would have monkeyed with the idle screws untill the thing would idle without choke, but on this carb that don't appear possible.--I can put a new needle and seat in, and set the float height, but that appears to be the limit of what I can do----HELP!!!!!

Fat Cat

Quote from: "brianangus"Roadster pickup with stock 85 small block 305 and quadrajet has been fired for first time since massive clean-up and installation from donor car.---All vacuum ports plugged on q-jet except one at rear side which went to power brakes originally-(now is plumbed to pcv valve). starts good, runs well in mid range , but will only run with choke 3/4 on at idle---stupid carburator either doesn't have idle screws, or has them sealed from factory. What do I do now ????  Don't suggest get new carburator---no money for that luxury. There must be something I can do , I just have no idea what.---on an older 4-barrel, I would have monkeyed with the idle screws untill the thing would idle without choke, but on this carb that don't appear possible.--I can put a new needle and seat in, and set the float height, but that appears to be the limit of what I can do----HELP!!!!!

Is this a 85 Model Quadra-Jet? If so does if have an electrical connector on the top? If so it will not work for your application. I do believe that you have a computer controlled carb. They will go full rich with no electrical hookups. We use them on Demo cars for that reason.

brianangus

There is no electrical connection on this carb---I took it out of the donor 1985 Pontiac, and there was no electrical connection .

enjenjo

Did you try plugging the PCV line to see if that helps?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

brianangus

Success!!!!!  It seems that the gentleman on another forum who said not to use the power brake vacuum port to my pcv set-up knew what he was talking about.  Today, without changing anything else, I put a pair of vice-grips on the hose and clamped it shut. The car fired right up, and after about 5 minutes warm up, seems to idle much better on its own, without me having to blip the throttle at all. Denny is definately right, in that it needs a gasket and float kit, but it appears that is all it may need.  This is something brand new to me---I never heard of this before, but hey----it worked.  Now all I have to do is figure out what port to use for the pcv. There is a large vacuum port on the front of the carb that used to go to the charcoal canister---I have it plugged right now, but it can easily be unplugged and used----any opinions????

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "brianangus"----any opinions????

I have 2 ,

I wished I would have bought MicroSoft stock 20+ years ago.

Try the port hook up as you post... see what happens.

If you have a leaky vacuum booster , that will cause problems too.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

brianangus

There is no vacuum booster---that was in the donor car. I just used that vac port on the carb to power my pcv, which apparently was the wrong thing to do.