what should I use?

Started by RatBandit, March 21, 2005, 05:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatBandit

I have the front end all clean.  So my question is what should I use to cover it up?  I have paint, POR 15, and rustoleum.  Will rustoleum need a primer down? Which is most durable?  What stays on the longest?  Thanks for your input.

enjenjo

If it's rusty, use the POR15 first, and then paint in within 24 hours. If it's clean metal, prime it, then paint it. Rustoleum isn't bad, but there is much better out there today. I would use an etch prime, and two part enamel.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rooster

Quote from: "enjenjo"If it's rusty, use the POR15 first, and then paint in within 24 hours. If it's clean metal, prime it, then paint it. Rustoleum isn't bad, but there is much better out there today. I would use an etch prime, and two part enamel.

What Greg did was sandblast the inner fenders, both sides, on the wheel well side just a light blast to remove dirt and any scale, he por15ed it last night on the wheel well side only, does this have to be painted at all?

The other side of the inner fender will get primed and painted gloss black of corse none of this will happen until we trim the ribs, and remove the e-brake from it location to another.

Things should pick up a bit around here this week Spring break starts today.

GPster

The first year I went to Bonneville I spent a couple hundred miles hearing two brothers talk about how when their father was building/repairing equipment on the side how everything was painted yellow. I'm surprised there were no comments on that two gallons. Greg could paint under the fenders with that. As a matter of fact he could use it all and tell them it's a school bus and he's learning on it. To the best of my knowlege no matter what you mix with it or how much you use all you'll get is a sh..ty brown. Around here the re-cyclers have a paint swap day in the spring, maybe you could trade it for something better. GPster