Dress-ups

Started by Pope Downunder, March 14, 2005, 06:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Downunder

I finally got around to putting the Corvette valve covers on the 283 for the Nationals trip.  Also swapped the Caddy style filter for this 'Moon' one.  I felt like a bit of a change, and I've had this stuff for a while now.

I've been running the "Chevrolet' script tin covers with 'Moon' breathers for a while, and I re-fitted them to the 'new' 283 until I ran it in, as I figured the extra breathing wouldn't hurt.  I like the look of those as well.
It isn't fumey, so I re-did the valves and put these on.

The PCV breathes through a bung I machined, which fits in where the road-draft tube was near the distributor, and clean air comes in through the fill-tube breather.  Hopefully this will be OK.

BTW, this is the 283 I fitted with the 327 SJ steel crank, to give 313ci.  It sure is 'torquey' for a 283!  Yes, it is just another SBC, but it is a bit unusual inside.  Why bother?  Well; I had most of the odd old stuff, and I thought 'why not'!

WZ JUNK

It really looks nice.  Great work Neil.  The whole engine compartment is very nicely done.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

C9

Quoteclean air comes in through the fill-tube breather

Does your oil filler cap have the horsehair style filter material inside?
I've always been a bit concerned about pulling in un-filtered fresh air through a hollow oil filler cap.
Even with the horsehair filter caps you can feel a fine grit down the oil filler tube after a while.

What worked for me - especially so with my home-made aluminum filler cap - was to drill and tap it for a flex line (braided stainless) and run the fresh air pickup point to within the carburetors air filter inside the filtered air area.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good looking SBC.
Very much like they ought to look far as I'm concerned.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Motor  looks great! Are those old,original covers or the new re-pops?Have a fun,safe trip!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

DanO

I like it! I wish my 283 looked that good.

Charlie Chops 1940

Nice job Neil. Those covers on a sbc are hard to beat for the purely nostalgic look of a Vette engine. I can still remember the first time I drove a solid axle Vette back in '59 and what a pleasure it was to look under the hood. Still brings good memories of those days.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Dave

Quote from: "Pope Downunder"I finally got around to putting the Corvette valve covers on the 283 for the Nationals trip.  Also swapped the Caddy style filter for this 'Moon' one.  I felt like a bit of a change, and I've had this stuff for a while now.

I've been running the "Chevrolet' script tin covers with 'Moon' breathers for a while, and I re-fitted them to the 'new' 283 until I ran it in, as I figured the extra breathing wouldn't hurt.  I like the look of those as well.
It isn't fumey, so I re-did the valves and put these on.

The PCV breathes through a bung I machined, which fits in where the road-draft tube was near the distributor, and clean air comes in through the fill-tube breather.  Hopefully this will be OK.

BTW, this is the 283 I fitted with the 327 SJ steel crank, to give 313ci.  It sure is 'torquey' for a 283!  Yes, it is just another SBC, but it is a bit unusual inside.  Why bother?  Well; I had most of the odd old stuff, and I thought 'why not'!

I like it it looks great..By the way you can tell Charlie is really old when he starts talking about driving straight axle vettes 8)
Dave :P

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "C9"
Quoteclean air comes in through the fill-tube breather

Does your oil filler cap have the horsehair style filter material inside?
I've always been a bit concerned about pulling in un-filtered fresh air through a hollow oil filler cap.
Even with the horsehair filter caps you can feel a fine grit down the oil filler tube after a while.

What worked for me - especially so with my home-made aluminum filler cap - was to drill and tap it for a flex line (braided stainless) and run the fresh air pickup point to within the carburetors air filter inside the filtered air area.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good looking SBC.
Very much like they ought to look far as I'm concerned.

Thanks Jay,
Good points on the clean air side.  I have a barb in the fill-tube, and used to have it up into the ir cleaner on the old fumey 283.  It used to suck oilly sludge back into the carby, and at times pop the sealed oil cap right out!

With the engine now fresh, I will take your suggestion.  I should be able to drill and tap the cast base of the new air filter easily, and reconnect it, no problems.
thanks.

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "40"Motor  looks great! Are those old,original covers or the new re-pops?Have a fun,safe trip!

Not sure, they came with the '37 deal, and he has had them for many years; however, they have never been on an engine, so they must be repro.  They are nice castings, and polished up perfectly.  Fit very well too.

The air cleaner is Moon, I got it at the US Nats.  Real nice piece, but it is quite noisy compared to the old one.

It was really funny Steve and I lugging 120kg of parts through all those airport security checks, Louisville, Chicago, Detroit, Detroit (again and the record of 1hr 20mins), Salt Lake City, LA, Sydney.  We were fed up with the baggage and body searches in the end, but we got it all home for no freight, and no tax, so we were thinking it was just worthwhile. I guess all that wire, metal, gauges and so on looked suspicious on the X-ray! :shock:   By SLC, we figured to pack dirty underwear and socks with the parts! :P

I took it for a run tonight and got it hot; no leaks, so it all seems to be fine. 8)

Crosley.In.AZ

good lookin stuff.  

I always used valve covers with the OE style breather baffles in them. All the others the oil / breather caps would drip oil on the engine.

thankfully this is not  a thread about fatcat in a dress
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)