Electrical Upgrading - Stereo System Voodoo ?

Started by 58Apache, March 14, 2005, 11:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58Apache

Have you guys checked out what the younger generation THINK they need for today's car audio equipment? This stuff is WAY overkill in my opinion.

Oh well, I was looking through what electrical goodies they have on E-bay so that I can do a good job designing some upgrades into my wiring of my vehicles when I get to that point. I ran into a lot of the stereo equipment, and noticed how much of overkill it is, and started wondering, if you don't run mega-watt amps and ear killing sound systems, why can't you use some of these things for a regular automotive wiring?

For example, distribution blocks with built in volt metter and LED's that indicate when a maxi fuse is blown. The wire diameters on these things are way more than even most cars need, but you can go into the block with 0 or 4 gauge, and come out with either 0 or 4 gauge. Other options include going in with 4 gauge and coming out with 4 8 gauges...which sounds closer to real needs. Still, I don't care for the set screw way of holding the cables...especially since I'll tin the ends of all of my wires. I worry they will come loose.

I have a 120 amp alternator. If the battery somehow becomes disharged, what is the maximum amount of amps it should take? These blocks are rated maximum for 80 amps.

They have some neat high amp relays as well, and some other interesting  electronic devices.  1.5 farad capacitors? who would have thunk it?

Has anyone ever put a large diode inline with the alternator output to protect the alternator?

I'm interested in seeing what others have done for electrical upgrades, as well as reading factual sites. I am well aware of MAD electrical.

Steve

348tripower

I have one of the dual maxi fuse holders in my 48 F1. I have noticed that I can blow fuses really easy if you short something. The other thing is a battery charger. Seems on boost (200 amps) it will toast the 60 amp maxi fuse in a heart beat. Some where there was discussion on maxi fuses versus fuseable links and I thought one of the maxi fuse draw backs was a quick blow under load.
Don

Quote from: "58Apache"Have you guys checked out what the younger generation THINK they need for today's car audio equipment? This stuff is WAY overkill in my opinion.

Oh well, I was looking through what electrical goodies they have on E-bay so that I can do a good job designing some upgrades into my wiring of my vehicles when I get to that point. I ran into a lot of the stereo equipment, and noticed how much of overkill it is, and started wondering, if you don't run mega-watt amps and ear killing sound systems, why can't you use some of these things for a regular automotive wiring?

For example, distribution blocks with built in volt metter and LED's that indicate when a maxi fuse is blown. The wire diameters on these things are way more than even most cars need, but you can go into the block with 0 or 4 gauge, and come out with either 0 or 4 gauge. Other options include going in with 4 gauge and coming out with 4 8 gauges...which sounds closer to real needs. Still, I don't care for the set screw way of holding the cables...especially since I'll tin the ends of all of my wires. I worry they will come loose.

I have a 120 amp alternator. If the battery somehow becomes disharged, what is the maximum amount of amps it should take? These blocks are rated maximum for 80 amps.

They have some neat high amp relays as well, and some other interesting  electronic devices.  1.5 farad capacitors? who would have thunk it?

Has anyone ever put a large diode inline with the alternator output to protect the alternator?

I'm interested in seeing what others have done for electrical upgrades, as well as reading factual sites. I am well aware of MAD electrical.

Steve
Don Colliau