New old ride

Started by enjenjo, March 12, 2005, 03:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Her's some pictures of my new ride. A 75 GMC my father bought new, he sold it to my brother, who gave it to me in 83. I rebuilt it in 86 with a new big block,new trans, new suspension both ends, a good cab, new upholstery, 85 model front sheet metal, and bed. The only original parts I used was the frame, the glove box,and the glass. I customized it in 88, lowered 4" rear, 3" front, and shaved the side marker lights, louvered tailgate, and custom paint. I sold it to a buddy in 91, he has had it ever since. He called a couple months ago, he is having health problems, and told me to come and get it, it was mine. He wanted me to have it back.

It has a few warts from the last 14 years, a little rust, and some other cosmetic problems, but with only 33,000 miles since rebuilding it, it still runs and drives like new. I'll hang on to it this time, you seldom get a second chance.

I may fix the mechanical problems, and take it out west for when I visit out there, it should last a long time in the desert.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

That's great Frank, it's kinda like having another kid...you know, they always come back..... :D

Charlie Chops 1940

Well, I can tell why it's getting rusty...yer louvers aren't correctly oriented with the flux transmitter...or something like that. It's in good hands.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

Frank,

kool story and truck.   You need something to drive while out here.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

It would sure beat a rental car. Only problem, I'll have to put the AC back in. :lol:

EMSjunkie

She's a real beauty Frank :D

I have always liked that body style.
I have a 80 GMC that I inherited from my Father before he passed away.
as long as I can find sheet metal for it, she'll be a driver.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dolly

Quote from: "enjenjo"It would sure beat a rental car. Only problem, I'll have to put the AC back in. :lol:

So how do you defog the windas without A/C?
Dolly

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

parklane

Quote from: "Dolly"
Quote from: "enjenjo"It would sure beat a rental car. Only problem, I'll have to put the AC back in. :lol:

they call them heaters, and defrosters up here :lol:  :lol:  :wink:
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Dolly"

lol....... too young to remember the old days when the a/c did not come on with the defroster?
Tony

enjenjo

When I got this cab, it had AC, but when I installed it on the truck, I took it out to make the underhood cleaner. Now it would be a major undertaking to put it back in.

alchevy

My '81 Chevy Truck is a stepside. Had it since new. It was my first vehicle. It will be 24 years old on April 8th and next year in Mississippi, it will be eligible for an antique tag. That's the neat part of it...keeping one from brand new to the time to get that tag and then just enjoy it. It's jealous of my '40 Chevy Sedan, though...been paying the '40 more attention here lately. I wished the truck looked like it did in this picture, but the clear coat has come off so it has a bad dandruf problem.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

enjenjo

I had a 73 stepside, black with flames, I'll have to dig up a picture.

Crosley.In.AZ

leave the truck outside in Ohio a few more years.  Then you will need another cab.

Drive it out to the desert and find a good rust free cab and switch them
Tony