Inline chevy 6 cyc ! Manual Oiling

Started by rooster, February 11, 2005, 09:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Can I prime the oil gally's in a 49 chevy inline 6 with a distributor shaft oiler I made for SBC engines, or is this a different setup on these old engines?

enjenjo

Alltogether different. The gear is on the oil pump drive as I remember.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

It sounds like you and your son have your weekend planned. I certainly believe in pre-oiling a new motor but you're talking about a 216 babbit pounder that at it's best may only have 10# of oil pressure. I feel it's a wasted effort. I'd still reccommend trying the thing like I suggested in his intro. I would make an addition, I have seen old engines sitting and for various reasons (vandalism?) there is water in the crankcase. It settles to the bottom so it's the first thing the pump will pick up and circulate. You might check that out. In that realm if you decide to just drain it out and try with fresh go to your friendly Tractor Supply and get a straight weight non-detergent oil. The technology of these engines is a lot older than the technologies of todays oils and good oil may shock it's system into being a "burner" if it was never in it's diet before. One of the problems with these old "Bangers" was no oil to the rocker arms. one of the fixes was a steel line coming off an oil gallery and going to a "Micky Mouse" adapter on the end of the stud that holds the rocker arm cover on. Parting that line (or the oil pressure gauge line) might give you a place to put some new oil in the system if you can figure out how to get it in there. I saw your question last night and would have given you this reply then  but I needed Enjenjo's reply to give me the confidence. I'll be waiting on CHAT tomorrow night just to hear the results. GPster

rooster

I guess Ill just have to go about this differently to see if the old 6 cyc is a runner. When we got the car the plugs were out allready! Dont know for how long. Probly squirt some oil in cyclinders and on top rockers and see if it will spin over with a 12V battery.

GPster

rooster

Quote from: "GPster"Well, does it run? GPster
Well I dont know yet! Im still trying to get the junk running thats in the driveway so we can get the Chevy in the garage out of site of the neighbors. Probly bring home Chevy in 2 weeks. Got the Ford f150 going today, my daughter will be taking that over. Buick fixed tommoro, then take it to my moms house for storage.

The guy told me that I can keep the Chevy there until the end of March.

rooster

Quote from: "GPster"Well, does it run? GPster

UPDATE:

Brought it home Sat! Engine still stuck! Could not rock loose or by pushing and popping the clutch. Tryed a 4' crow bar on the crank pully ( rad removed) and that would not bust it loose. Took head off and there was some rust, but i dont think enough to keep it from turning over.

This engine has no oil filter!

GPster

I suppose that kills the idea of making it a cheap runner. Personally I wouldn't think it's worth the trying to rebuild. I'd say the next step would be pull it. I'd leave the tranny in it so there is some mounting place for the front of the closed driveshaft and just figure out a way to hold up the front of the tranny so you can move the car around. He could pull the pan and pull all the rod caps ( keep them in order for their proper rod)  and see which piston (or pistons)is/are stuck but even if he gets it to turn it would need torn down and you still don't know what caused those bent pushrods. Don't junk it yet though. There are some pieces off the old engine that would help put in a later model six if he goes that way. In'53 in cars, probably later in trucks they went to side motor mounts for which there is no provision in the earlier frames. They say that you can use the early cam gear cover and the mount plate behind it on the later  (to '62?) 235s and mount them like the original was. There are also some differant water pump front pulley combinations over the years that the early parts might get around. If he can't talk his buddy out of his old engine this might be a chance for him to upgrade the car to pressure oiling. GPster