more nerf bar progress on the 32

Started by nzsimon, February 19, 2005, 09:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzsimon

Made the stand offs today and partially finished the braketry to tie it all back to the chassis

Roughed these out need to finish tigging them and then polish before welding them to the bar as it looks like it might be hard to polish later
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

Bib_Overalls

Impressive as always.  I wish I was as talented as you.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Crosley.In.AZ

koool.

you need to get a maid for the place though......  :lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

nzsimon

In between open homes I managed to tigg the stand offs and file and polish one figure if I don't do it first it will be too hard once all together

Don't really know what I am doing just seeing what happens as I go

Thats the cool thing with stainless once you polish it anything looks cool

"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

nzsimon

Did some more on the bar made the ends I couldn't find some nice curved ends anywhere tried boat builders etc

My mate gave the too hard shrug when I suggested his lathe

So I started with two flat bits and beat them to death with a ball pein hammer till they looked like what I wanted then I linished all the little dents out cut them to size and tigged them in

Cut a hole in the middle of the pipe tonight and fabbed up a piece to hold the lexus number plate light and tigged that in still have to dress all the welds and polish would have dressed the welds tonight but the neighbours started chucking stuff at the shed at 10pm

Pics when I have finished
I only burnt my hand once those filler rods sure do have hot ends and they always end up in the palm of your hand

I have just spilt an entire JD and coke on the carpet and we have an open home tommorow they will think they are buying a P house

nzsimon

dressed all the welds tonight now it just needs final polishing which I will do before final assembly

The shot with the number plate light is minus the lense and the end is blury sorry

nzsimon

here is the number plate light minus the lense

Pep

Very nice job Simon......are you thinking of putting some sort of rubber pad between the stand offs and pan?
See Ya
Pep

Dirk35

Looks Cool!

On welding with the stainless wire, is it difficult?

nzsimon

Yes Pep I have a small roll of butynol (sp?) that I will make all the body gaskets out of

Dirk stainless welds beautifully it just runs like silfos basically if you can't weld SS you can't weld LOL

Sean

What did you make the Stand-offs with? Looks like a Sanitary reducer, which made me remember they also make butt weld end caps that would have saved you some time. Looks good though... :D

nzsimon

Quote from: "Sean"What did you make the Stand-offs with? Looks like a Sanitary reducer, which made me remember they also make butt weld end caps that would have saved you some time. Looks good though... :D

The stand offs are pipereducers a slightly diff shape than your example The father in law makes multimillion dollar wool and food machine things or at least the company he works at does so everything is stainless

Those end caps would have saved a bunch of time but I couldn't find anything easily that would do the job I just noticed the price !! plus we of course are a metric country it is 38mm tube

Still kept me busy

Sean

Quote from: "nzsimon"I just noticed the price !!

Yeah, the prices on that stuff are pretty crazy, especially when you get into the larger sizes. They sell the same fittings in a non food-grade form at prices that are much more reasonable though. They have a bead-blast type finish on them instead of being polished inside and out like the Sanitary fittings.

I forget about how much that stuff cost's new. A lot of the Sanitary work we do involves replacing or modifying an existing system so when I need fittings for a project I usually just cut them out of one of those old systems that we tore out.

X38

What about stainless freezeplugs? Don't know about sizes or grades.