Question on Exhaust and header insulation

Started by Dale, March 08, 2005, 02:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale

Hi Guys and Gals: Been a while since I have been here. When the Round Table changed formats a couple of yrs. ago I fell away as it confused the hell out of me. I will try to get it sorted out because I like and need the info. you guys share.  I was the one with the 30 ford coupe with the mercruiser Marine engine. I am here with another question.
Because of room and lack there of,I had to route the 2  1/2" exhaust pipe over the engine and down and out the back. I have a problem with heat in the engine compartment and the front interior of the car. My sweetie pie ( Boss ) is complaining about Her feet burning. I tried metal clamp on heat shields and I ended up with a lot of rattling. I have been thinking about wrapping the pipe with insulation or the heat wrap they sell. I would like to go with some thing that works well,but not too expensive.  I sure would value some feed back from you guys as I have to do some thing as when the Boss is not happy,I am not happy and a line has been drawn in the sand.           Thanks again         Dale from the frozen U.P. of Mi.
Dale                  Slow mind fast car 8)

phat rat

Wrapping works but the trouble with wrapping the pipes is that it also promotes rust.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Charlie Chops 1940

Ditto on what Jack says about the wrap material. However I think there are some good alternative out there now that will help. Insultec - they advertise in most of the rod mags - has a ceramic insulation enclosed in a heavy duty foil that goes under a sound deadener that they also sell, which would help at the floor level. Lizard skin or whatever it's called could also be brushed on the floor bottom or top. Also seems like there is some looser fit insulation for pipes but I can remember who has it.

Some combination of those item might do the trick.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Dale

All the pipe in question is stainless steel.
Dale                  Slow mind fast car 8)

phat46

Quote from: "Dale"All the pipe in question is stainless steel.

Good to hear from a genuine Yooper. Can't help you with the insulation question other than just to say that you should be driving it now and taking advantage of the interior heating!!!  :shock:  I have a deer camp over by the Paint River north of Iron River, maybe when I'm up that way I could stop by for a ride.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Well you wouldn't have a rust problem then would you? Wrapping does cut down on heat but after a while it gets kinda ugly looking. Insultech that Charlie mentioned is a excellent but somewhat expensive alternative. A case of getting what you pay for. But it would be insulating the car from other sources of heat also.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

DrJ

Service manager I used to work for at the Olds dealer told me a story one day about the time he and his wife were going somewhere in their Cadillac and she kept complaining about her feet getting hot.
He said he just told her it was hot flashes and had she taken her pill...
But she kept saying it felt like her feet were boiling.. It was then he looked down at the passenger floor and saw the steaming hot green fluid running out of the heater box...
The heater core had sprung a leak!
So, he got to apologize for the menopausal suggestion and stopped in for a bottle of that silver colored radiator magic...

Insulate the firewall then all the compartment heat will be lessened.