8 (100%)
Replace 'em
0 (0%)
?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: February 23, 2004, 11:01:44 PM

jman454

Howdy All, I haven't been here in a while but now I'm back.  A long, long time ago (in a galaxy far away...) I posted a question about a narrow feeler gauge for adjusting roller rockers with "ears" or "rails" that hang down on each side of the roller tip on each side of the valve stem preventing a regular 1/2" wide feeler gauge from working. I received some good tips (thanks!) and finally found a suitable 1/4" wide gauge at Sears.

When I was checking it out I noticed I couldn't slip the gauge in between the roller tip and the valve stem if the rocker had pressure (duh!) HOWEVER, much to my dismay on one valve that was at a lot of lift the roller tip spun easily. Upon inspection I see that the rocker arm "rails" are actually pressing on the lock and retainer to open the valve (AAARRRGGHH!). I called the vendor again and asked if these were the correct rockers for a vanilla Chevy Big Block with a solid cam. Again he said yes and that I could just grind the rockers down to clearance them. There's a lot of meat on the bottom of the rails since the roller tip pin is closer to the top and it looks feasible.

I don't feel comfortable with this and wanted to get some feedback. Do y'all think these particular rockers are really for a self-aligning application? roller lifters? late model? .100 longer valve stems? or what? If I had lots of money to burn I would just grind 'em and go or order different ones but like most budget racers it's been a long time in the making and I don't want to spray parts on the first run. :shock:

I have pics but I'll have to shrink them to 90KB first...

Thanks,
JMan.

jman454

pic attached:

Quote from: "jman454"Howdy All, I haven't been here in a while but now I'm back.  A long, long time ago (in a galaxy far away...) I posted a question about a narrow feeler gauge for adjusting roller rockers with "ears" or "rails" that hang down on each side of the roller tip on each side of the valve stem preventing a regular 1/2" wide feeler gauge from working. I received some good tips (thanks!) and finally found a suitable 1/4" wide gauge at Sears.

When I was checking it out I noticed I couldn't slip the gauge in between the roller tip and the valve stem if the rocker had pressure (duh!) HOWEVER, much to my dismay on one valve that was at a lot of lift the roller tip spun easily. Upon inspection I see that the rocker arm "rails" are actually pressing on the lock and retainer to open the valve (AAARRRGGHH!). I called the vendor again and asked if these were the correct rockers for a vanilla Chevy Big Block with a solid cam. Again he said yes and that I could just grind the rockers down to clearance them. There's a lot of meat on the bottom of the rails since the roller tip pin is closer to the top and it looks feasible.

I don't feel comfortable with this and wanted to get some feedback. Do y'all think these particular rockers are really for a self-aligning application? roller lifters? late model? .100 longer valve stems? or what? If I had lots of money to burn I would just grind 'em and go or order different ones but like most budget racers it's been a long time in the making and I don't want to spray parts on the first run. :shock:

I have pics but I'll have to shrink them to 90KB first...

Thanks,
JMan.

jman454

can't attach pic, too many pixels even at 30KB.

enjenjo

I would just grind them. It shouldn't hurt anything, and you might buy something else that is just as much trouble. as long as the rocker sides fit over the valve stem, it will still self align.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jman454

Thanks enjenjo. I'll let y'all know the results...
-JMan.

Quote from: "enjenjo"I would just grind them. It shouldn't hurt anything, and you might buy something else that is just as much trouble. as long as the rocker sides fit over the valve stem, it will still self align.

SKR8PN

HOLD THE GRINDER!!!
Why don't you go to your nearest machine shop and see if they can get you a set of "lash caps" to put on the end of your valves????????
Cheap,quick and non-destructive. $.02
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

btrc

I would try the lash caps too but I'm sure that out by the tip it won't hurt anything to grind a little of the rocker off.  If your stem is pretty short, make sure the lash cap is short enough also so it isn't hitting the keepers.
Bob