Who was asking about Vehicle Exhaust in the shop?...

Started by Sean, February 17, 2005, 06:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

I had to go to the local garage for OATS (older adult transit system) today and fix the exhaust "Sucker" in their Service garage. They had one on each end of the shop and they were mounted on powered Reels. There was a rocker switch on the wall to run them up and down. Pretty slick...

The Reels were about 3 foot long and probably 18" or so in diameter, with 6" High-temp, wire reinforced flexible tubing on them. At the end of the Flex-tubing was a Stainless steel tube with a slot cut in the side of it. They welded a pair of Vise grips in that Slot to allow you to clamp the tubing to the vehicle exhaust.

The exhaust is drawn up through the Flex and through the center of the Reel, where 6" spiral tubing takes it to a centrifugal exhaust fan up in the rafters. They had both "Suckers" piped into one fairly large Fan, with the Fan exhaust running through a hood on the roof. It would not be hard at all to duplicate a basic version of this system in a Home Shop. You wouldn't really need the Reel system, just hard pipe it from the fan to the back of the shop, then drop flex down to the floor.

The name of this particular system is Monoxivent, and I borrowed a couple pictures off their website....

Leon

When I built my shop I put two 3" ABS outlets in the floor with screw-in plugs.  These are covered with round plates so they can be driven over.  The other end comes up out of the floor in the compresser roon where I mounted a blower from a one horse dust collector with the discharge going out through the wall.  A 3" hose plugs into the floor for use.  If I'm not careful if will suck small objects down the pipe.