Internet Connection Q

Started by C9, February 17, 2005, 11:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C9

The dial-up connections I had in Sunny California would give a caller a busy signal if I was on-line.

The present day dial-up did much the same when first installed, but now it does a couple of things.

The caller hears nothing but a ring for as long as he stays on the phone.

Sometimes a call will knock the dial-up Internet connection off-line and allow the call to come through.
I think the second bit started when we got call waiting.
(A small necessity with a 14 year old granddaughter living here.)

DSL is an option, but not really necessary for me.
Dial-up is fast enough.

Anything I can set up computer-wise to avoid getting knocked off-line?
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

rooster

Its been awhile sence Ive had a dial up connection but from what I remember, go to modem setup in your software program and look for a place that ask you if you have "call Waiting". Check that box!, or you will have to add a  "*" before your dial up number. There should be instructions! This will turn off "call waiting " for the period you are using the computer on line.

58Apache

With a 14 year old female there putting a demand on the phone, and I am betting on computer usage as well, I would place odds on the chances you will be getting that DSL within a few months anyway.

The second you start thinking about getting a second phone line so the computer can be online while a teenager chats on the phone for long periods, is the time when DSL starts looking more attractive and a financial factor in the equation....since the speed isn't an issue for you.

For most people the speed is an issue as well as the above, and DSL or cable modem just make sense.

Until you get to that point, contact your service provider and they can walk you through what it takes to configure the call waiting options on your modem/computer settings.  You may find what you need on their web site.

Steve

Pep

Most carriers support *44 to toggle it on or off...
See Ya
Pep

rooster

Did you ever get the call waiting turned off?

1FATGMC

Quote from: "C9"The dial-up connections I had in Sunny California would give a caller a busy signal if I was on-line.

The present day dial-up did much the same when first installed, but now it does a couple of things.

The caller hears nothing but a ring for as long as he stays on the phone.

Sometimes a call will knock the dial-up Internet connection off-line and allow the call to come through.
I think the second bit started when we got call waiting.
(A small necessity with a 14 year old granddaughter living here.)

DSL is an option, but not really necessary for me.
Dial-up is fast enough.

Anything I can set up computer-wise to avoid getting knocked off-line?

I use to have a second line into the store for the computer, but didn't like paying $32 a month for it.  This last year I bought a modem for under $25  that comes with a program that pops a box up on the screen if there is an incoming call and I can then disconnect from the internet and pick the phone up if I want to.

It is suppose to hold the internet connection for me to go back to when I'm done with the phone call, but I can't get that to work.  Just like if I use the call waiting (off the internet) I can't ever seem to get back to the first person.  Probably something stupid and simple that I'm not doing right.

For the modem and program to work you do have to have call waiting.  It is only a couple bucks a month, so this has been a good solution for me until the day I can afford DSL.

c ya, Sum

Bib_Overalls

Jay,

We have Cox cable TV and they offer internet.  About $40 a month.  Seems like a lot but it is really fast.   Makes surfing almost instantaneous.  I find myself using it more becase it is so responsive.  For me, cable is well worth the cost.

Steve
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

alchevy

I'm on a cable modem, but mine is only $29 a month...only $9 more than what I paid with a dial-up and I added a network so more than one person can be online at one time and we can use the phone too.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com