Lokar shifter neutral safety switch adjustment

Started by WZ JUNK, February 14, 2005, 09:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

Does anyone have the instructions or know how to adjust the neutral safety switch on a Lokar transmission mounted shifter?
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Topsterguy

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Does anyone have the instructions or know how to adjust the neutral safety switch on a Lokar transmission mounted shifter?

Ahhhhhhh, that's what I'm doing right now too...............little help!?  :wink:
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

phat rat

I've got the instuctions out in the garage and if nobody answers before I get home from work this afternoon I'll post them for you.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

seems like I remember an aluminum threaded plug that is used to postion the shifter for adjustment?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"seems like I remember an aluminum threaded plug that is used to postion the shifter for adjustment?

yep.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Does anyone have the instructions or know how to adjust the neutral safety switch on a Lokar transmission mounted shifter?

I know I have adjusted them before but I can not remember how I did it and now I do not have the directions.   It is in an almost impossible area to get my big fat clumsy hands.  I will give it a go this morning.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

CruZer

There is an aluminum plug that screws in the neutral safety switch hole to center  the shifter but you can make the adjustment without it. If you look down from the top of the shifter,you can see the detents drilled into the shifter arm to make the switch open and close.With the switch in place,loosen  the shifter mounting bolts a little and slide the * forward or back to make the ball on the end of the switch go into the detent hole.
When the ball is out all the way,(into the hole ) the switch breaks contact and the car won't start.When the ball is depressed by moving the shifter up or down the switch closes the contacts.

You'll have to play around with it some but you'll see the detents in the park and neutral positions that you are aiming for.

I had an early Lokar in my '40 and I had to drill the detents out bigger to get the ball to come out all the way.

WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

timkins

If you call Lokar they will send you the instructions or fax them to you. I had the same problem a year or so ago and I called and they shipped them right out to me.