I have a friend (1?)

Started by GPster, January 28, 2005, 10:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

I have a friend that is wanting to do something a little differant (strange?) He has a '61 Chevy Biscane 2dr sedan. It originally had a 235 six in it that the last owner was going to turbo-charge but lost interest. I certainly don't want to dissaude  him from up-grading the powerplant (I can count on the old one as a spare for me) so here is the request. We missed out on the last 348 that I knew of to someone that was restoring a truck. A 409 is certainly out of the realm of necessity for the use of this car but the scalloped valve covers are not often seen and a 348 would fill that bill. I lost track of who was discussing re-using the one in his truck and if he did or not. So any information abou a loose one and where would help. GPster

Sean

I know of at least 3 Grain Trucks in my area that have 348's in them. At least, I assume they are 348's, they have the 409 looking Valve Covers on them. I used to service them every year back in my "Go-fer" days, and I have had my eye on them ever since. Just waiting for one of the tight-* old Farmers to retire one of them...

Most people wouldn't think to look in old Farm equipment, but I have seen 396's and 427's in Grain Trucks too. I have even heard that some of the old Combines used 327's for power, although I have yet to run across one.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Sean"I know of at least 3 Grain Trucks in my area that have 348's in them. At least, I assume they are 348's, they have the 409 looking Valve Covers on them. I used to service them every year back in my "Go-fer" days, and I have had my eye on them ever since. Just waiting for one of the tight-* old Farmers to retire one of them...

Most people wouldn't think to look in old Farm equipment, but I have seen 396's and 427's in Grain Trucks too. I have even heard that some of the old Combines used 327's for power, although I have yet to run across one.

Better watch out on those 396's and 427's most of them are the long stroke high deck motors. Not much in the way of parts availablity for them.

58Apache

I believe that was me that had the 348 I was debating on using in my 58 3600 Apache.  I think I have been talked into using the engine because it was "different". My main concern was the logic in using a rare engine if I was going to put a lot of miles on it towing to car shows.

This one is running for now and will keep the truck on the road until I can start the project. I heard that these are angled a little different and it takes a special machine shop to handle the boring?

I also need to figure out what heads to use, if not these. I'd really like to find a 3 duece manifold for it. I found a few at swap meets, but most were way out of line on price.

I heard you can put a 409 crank in a 348 to make a stroker motor. Perfect for a truck that tows!  I have a 350 I'll make a stroker out of if I change my mind, but my plans are to use the 348 right now.

I think I am going to put a 4L80E or a TH400 with a Gear Vendors O/D unit behind that 348. Right now top speed is about 50mph!

Steve

parklane

You have to watch those farm trucks, because althogh the engine looks like a 396 or 427, it is actually a 366. Externally the look the same as thier larger brothers.
John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

58Apache

I think some of the truck engines were known as "tall deck" as well and you have to use a special intake manifold, among other things, with them?

Steve

enjenjo

All the trucks bigger than a C30, or 3500 used a tall deck block. you could either get a 366, or a 427, that's all that was available in BBC in the big trucks, the 427 had the same bore and stroke as a car, but the pistons, and rods were longer, and most had 4 rings. the 366 had the 427 stroke, with a 3 7/8" bore, same as a 283. they also had the longer pistons and rods. about the only thing useful in a 366 is the crank, it's forged. you can build a long stroke 377 out of them, but they cost as much as a 454 to build.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "58Apache"I believe that was me that had the 348

Steve
Yes,it was you. I hoped you would reply because I only remembered  58???????? from Dayton. This project is probably not important enough to go out of state or on the "World Wide Web" looking for pieces but I thought you might know of one laying around so the availability might help him make up his mind. We used to have (he's dead now) an old mechanic at the County Garage that built a "Dirt Track Car" out of a 409 with 348 heads. I think he used a regular transmission in high gear and a car rear end. He didn't think much of 6,000 RPM  and had it run all the time at about 3,000 like a truck. It was more competative than his driver (son). When he died his daughters got together and put his wife in the "County Home" and cleaned up the farm at the $XXXX a ton place so it all gone away. GPster

58Apache

You sure don't get much from that  $ a ton scrap place. I took a truck load of scrap steel down there and got 11.25 for it. I am sure a lot of classic stuff went into the burner.

I don't know of any other 348's available myself, but if anyone can track down one locally it's enjenjo!!   Another option, when going into machine shops I have seen tons of engines on shelves. If the local old machine shop don't have one they may know where to get one?

There are web sites devoted to the 409 and 348 and I think there are two main guys that run different web sites. One calls himself Dr 409 or somthing like that and is a bussiness man out to make a nice profit from my judgement so far.

The other seems more info oriented but has some parts for sale as well. My project is kinda on the back burner until I get my first project done, but I am slowly learning about these engines. Parts aren't cheap unless you are in the right place at the right time, or figure out how to modify modern parts to make them work. Still, when I checked on it, all parts were available new for a rebuild.

Also, it pays to know what parts are best to use as some are more performance oriented than others. I seen guys saying "these are the good high performance 409 heads" etc.  so knowing what's what is important.

My truck 348 is not a high performer I am sure, but I'll do what I can when I rebuild to increase torque a bit. I really like the idea of putting a 409 crank in it, but I am guessing it would take some machining, and I have been told to select the machine shop for these engines carefully.

Steve

Sean

Quote from: "enjenjo"the 427 had the same bore and stroke as a car, but the pistons, and rods were longer, and most had 4 rings.

Isn't longer Rods supposed to be better? Something about the geometry...

What about the 348's? Are they the same as a car 348?

enjenjo

They would be if they were any good, but they are made to last, read that heavy, and not really adaptable to short deck blocks.

The 348 and 409 are pretty much the same as the car. I bought a "348" out of a truck one time, when I was cleaning it up, I found it had chrome valve covers, aluminum intake, AFB carb, and chrome fuel line on it, kind of strange for a truck motor. So I ran the numbers, and it was a 409hp 409 out of a 62 car.

RodZZilla

Quote from: "enjenjo"All the trucks bigger than a C30, or 3500 used a tall deck block. you could either get a 366, or a 427, that's all that was available in BBC in the big trucks, the 427 had the same bore and stroke as a car, but the pistons, and rods were longer, and most had 4 rings. the 366 had the 427 stroke, with a 3 7/8" bore, same as a 283. they also had the longer pistons and rods. about the only thing useful in a 366 is the crank, it's forged. you can build a long stroke 377 out of them, but they cost as much as a 454 to build.

The rods are the same as the Pass versions.  They do have the 4 ring piston.  The extra ring land makes up the additonal .400" deck height.  You can use a 6.535" rod (.400 Longer) and stock pistons.  You will also need a different intake, or spacers.
There is a fine line between hardcore and stupid.

enjenjo

I'll stand corrected then. It's been a long time since I was into one of them. I remember them having 3/8" rod bolts too.

I was looking at a Dart high deck block at the machine shop today, 760 ci. That would be a fun street motor :lol: