Summit battery in trunk kits

Started by 48builder, January 29, 2005, 11:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I was just looking at the kits at Summit racing for putting the battery in the trunk. They've got one with 2-gauge cable for $25, and one with 1 gauge for $40.

Is the 2 gauge sufficient, or should I spend the extra for the bigger cable? Both kits look like pretty good deals. They've got everything I'll need.

Thanks,

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

1FATGMC

Quote from: "48builder"I was just looking at the kits at Summit racing for putting the battery in the trunk. They've got one with 2-gauge cable for $25, and one with 1 gauge for $40.

Is the 2 gauge sufficient, or should I spend the extra for the bigger cable? Both kits look like pretty good deals. They've got everything I'll need.

Thanks,

Walt

I got one of theirs years ago and don't remember the cable size, but it has worked fine.  One thing though is my battery is located right behind the cab in the right front corner of the bed, so I don't have a very long run.  

For $15.00 more I would get the 1 gauge and be covered no matter what.  The bigger the cable the better it will be on your starter regardless.  A week from now with what everything else in life costs you won't know you are $15 poorer  :cry: .

c ya, Sum

48builder

what happens if 10 years from now I'm retired and can't pay my bills. I'll think, "if only I hadn't bought that 1 gauge battery kit" :-).
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

Quote from: "48builder"what happens if 10 years from now I'm retired and can't pay my bills. I'll think, "if only I hadn't bought that 1 gauge battery kit" :-).

Just skip a meal. It wouldn't hurt most of us. :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dennis the Menace

8) I have the Summit kit in the 56, I went with the 1-gauge wire just to be safe.
Dennis 8)
Photo Guy: WWW.hotrodhotline.com
Dennis  8)

Bob K

Quote from: "48builder"what happens if 10 years from now I'm retired and can't pay my bills. I'll think, "if only I hadn't bought that 1 gauge battery kit" :-).

Walt old buddy, I'll tell ya what. If that happens, I'll personally contribute the 15.00 towards a meal. That is if I'm still alive.

Wonder what  15.00 will be worth a the average resturant in 10 years??

B :P B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

48builder

Walt old buddy, I'll tell ya what. If that happens, I'll personally contribute the 15.00 towards a meal. That is if I'm still alive.

You better be alive then. I figure in ten years when I have this car done, I'm going to drive out for a visit. I haven't been to cheese country in 17 years. My buddy in Beaver Dam keeps asking.

BTW, I'm starting to make plans for the Syracuse BBQ this summer. I'll probably deep fry a big old turkey, and I have a couple batches of home-brew cooking right now.
'39 Chevy driver

Dave

Quote from: "48builder"I was just looking at the kits at Summit racing for putting the battery in the trunk. They've got one with 2-gauge cable for $25, and one with 1 gauge for $40.

Thanks,

Walt

I found speedway to be the best on the wire kit then I just went to tractor supply and got a battery box.. Worked nice in the 32. I did mount one of the frame mounted drop down boxes in the 30 A i was working on and although a bit pricey it was a nice piece also and frees up that trunk space or in that case lack of a trunk..
Dave