Let's talk "Overdrive"

Started by 58Apache, January 30, 2005, 01:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

58Apache

I was thinking about putting an Overdive unit in my 58 truck that I want to use for towing.  As she sits at the moment it has a 4 speed manual with a granny first. Top speed on this truck has to be about 50 mph. Them rear gears must be way up there!

I'm not sure if I'll use this rear-end or not yet. It's a dually and I just don't know how reliable or what it takes to rebuild it.

In any case, I'd like to make it an automatic on the column shift, with a strong towing tranny and an overdrive unit.

I thought about a 4L80E or 4L85E, and stil may go that way, but getting one that has been rebuilt is NOT cheap! Especially when you add on the electronic controls adapter, and misc stuff. Maybe a junk yard, but still need to account for no computer on this old relic.

Now I know that Gear Vendors makes an O/D unit, and putting one behind a good ole reliable TH400 make sense, but the Gear Vendors units aren't cheap either!

What are some of the other options I have?

Steve

enjenjo

The 4L80 will still be cheaper than a Gear Vendors setup. As far as the rearend, it's about bulletproof. Probably a 4.56, maybe even a 5.38 depending on the tires. You could change to a later model rear with a 4.11, and use a 400 turbo, that would be good for at least 80 mph.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Steve,

I've got a Chevy pattern Turbo 400 with an American Overdrive unit on the back that I never used. I got it from a pal in Phoenix who got it from a pal of his, maybe 12/13 years ago. I think I've got about $1400 in it but I'd be open to a reasonable offer if you're interested. I bought it for a '55 Nomad project with a 454 in it...went down the road a couple years ago.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

58Apache

Thanks Charlie!  I can't start this project just yet as I have another one to finish first. So my budget won't allow it at this time. Right now I am doing research and learning as much as I can to make as few mistakes as I can later and maybe save a few bucks here and there.

However, a few months down the road if I am ready and you still have it around, I will be in touch.

I had never heard about American Overdrive. Have some details on this unit? Are there other brand names? Seems like Gear Vendors is all you hear about these days.

Steve

Crosley.In.AZ

if you run a 4L80E... I recommend the Compushift controller.  Very good quality and easy to configure.

there is even a back door in the software to make more changes if a guy knows how to get there..... 8)

if you go the 4L80E route in some future time.... 1996 tranny and newer!  Core prices are still high on these trannys
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Charlie Chops 1940

Steve...no problem, juust thought I'd let you know that I have it.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "58Apache"I was thinking about putting an Overdive unit in my 58 truck that I want to use for towing.  As she sits at the moment it has a 4 speed manual with a granny first. Top speed on this truck has to be about 50 mph. Them rear gears must be way up there!

I'm not sure if I'll use this rear-end or not yet. It's a dually and I just don't know how reliable or what it takes to rebuild it.

In any case, I'd like to make it an automatic on the column shift, with a strong towing tranny and an overdrive unit.

I thought about a 4L80E or 4L85E, and stil may go that way, but getting one that has been rebuilt is NOT cheap! Especially when you add on the electronic controls adapter, and misc stuff. Maybe a junk yard, but still need to account for no computer on this old relic.

Now I know that Gear Vendors makes an O/D unit, and putting one behind a good ole reliable TH400 make sense, but the Gear Vendors units aren't cheap either!

What are some of the other options I have?

Steve
How about a manual Saginaw with overdrive.  That would retain some of the equipment you have and make the overall project more affordable.  This would also be robust.  Also, a bit different, withpout costng a fortune.
http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/overdrive.htm

58Apache

Quote from: "Pope Downunder"
How about a manual Saginaw with overdrive.  That would retain some of the equipment you have and make the overall project more affordable.  This would also be robust.  Also, a bit different, withpout costng a fortune.
http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/overdrive.htm

Well I really think I want to go with an automatic on this truck. My wife refuses to drive my 95 3/4 ton 4x4 because it has a manual tranny.  And I do kind of like it's manual tranny, so if I was going to do anything manual I'd probably try to get a New Venture 5 speed overdrive.

In a way it's kind of ashamed as the tranny that's in there shifts pretty well.  I have many more months to make up my mind on what way to go. So I'll just do some research and listen to ideas for now.

The project has to include front power disc brakes though and power steering. Trying to steer that thing is worse than driving a tank!  So with that in mind one of my options is to just use a chassis from a late 80's or early 90's 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Another is to weld on the front section. Not sure what other options I have that's affordable.

Steve