Search for the lost VIN

Started by Haywood, January 28, 2005, 10:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haywood

Anyone know where the VIN number would be stamped on a 46 Chevy truck frame. I have an I.D. plate on the firewall of one of the trucks but it is worn and you can't read anything on it. ANY info would be appreciated.

Butch
Poor Boys  Tn

You don\'t build the car, the CAR builds you!

phat rat

Vin tag should be on the a-pillar on the drivers side.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

most of the old chevy trucks I had the frame was stamped on the drivers side rail......

On top of the frame rail right at the bottom of the firewall or further back under the cab.

My 68 - 71 chevy trucks the number was behind  the steering box, top of frame rail
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat rat

I was going by where it was on my 48. Back then cars and trucks carried the vin on the a-pillar
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "phat rat"I was going by where it was on my 48. Back then cars and trucks carried the vin on the a-pillar

the manufacturer would stamp the frames and the VIN tag with matching number was located in a various  spots.

years ago many states went by engine numbers
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

OldSub

I don't know when GM started stamping VIN numbers on pickup frames, but I'm pretty sure it was after the 1954 models.  

I have a '54 sitting in my yard, and would be happy to check if someone things they know where it should be.  I've looked before and have yet to find anything.

Love the SpellCheck button!

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

enjenjo

Quote from: "OldSub"I don't know when GM started stamping VIN numbers on pickup frames, but I'm pretty sure it was after the 1954 models.  

I have a '54 sitting in my yard, and would be happy to check if someone things they know where it should be.  I've looked before and have yet to find anything.

Love the SpellCheck button!

As far as I know, that's correct. the only numbers I know of are on the engine next to the distributor, and on a tag on the left A pillar, or on the left inside cowl panel, depending on the exact year.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Haywood

Thanks guys. I've finally got the cab ready to come off. I'll find out then if it's hiding on the frame rail or not.
Poor Boys  Tn

You don\'t build the car, the CAR builds you!