first time builder

Started by john zemba, January 23, 2005, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john zemba

This will be the first time for me . I have rebuilt two vettes, but never attempted this scale of a project.  I have a 29model A tudor sedan. Just finished the 'Z'ing of the frame and bracing it.  got a dummy trans and motor mounted. Bought some suspension parts from Tims HotRods in Wash. Where is a good place to look for gas tanks and where is best location? Been reading and reading, but would appreciate any helpful hints from others.

enjenjo

Several people have used the saddle tanks from Tanks Inc that fit under the splash aprons. I think DRD57 has them on his A and is pleased with them. I have also seen people mount a tank in the rear of a sedan, inside the body, but there isn't a lot of room there to begin with.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Beck

John, the saddle tanks enjenjo spoke of work nicely if you are running full fenders. I really like the '32 rear tank conversion. They work nicely on full fendered cars or hiboys. My buddy has a 2 dr '30 gong together in the shop now. It will be full fendered with the '32 tank out back. To mount the '32 tank the frame rails need extensions welded on. That may not be possible with your car since you have Z'd the frame rails. You could put a return on the Z to build yourself a mounting point for the "32 tank.

Dave

Quote from: "john zemba"This will be the first time for me . I have rebuilt two vettes, but never attempted this scale of a project.  I have a 29model A tudor sedan. Just finished the 'Z'ing of the frame and bracing it.  got a dummy trans and motor mounted. Bought some suspension parts from Tims HotRods in Wash. Where is a good place to look for gas tanks and where is best location? Been reading and reading, but would appreciate any helpful hints from others.

I just helped mostly finish a 30 model a this summer and he had a tank in the rear seat area. What a pain. It took me 2 weeks to figure out how to get the filler connected to the tank but i finially did it. I also like the 32 style in the rear like my 32 but I did 2 model a's and used the stock tank and it worked fine. I dont buy the deal where everyone worried about a tank over top of the engine because its back a bit anyway and in my book it cant be any worse than getting rearended with a tank in the back. I had a buddy that put a vw bus gas tank under his 29 sedan then ran the exhaust all on the right side of the car. I never did look under it to see what the gas tank looked like but it worked and he had a filler door on the apron
Dave

john zemba

thanks for the info

nzsimon

If you can Z a frame you can make a tank any sheetmetal shop can fold it up just weld all the seams and make some mounting brackets cut the filler from a late model wreck

Fill the tank with some tank sealer and swish  it around to take care of any pinholes in your welding and bobs your uncle or barry in my case
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

nzsimon

Your profanity filter is set way high I wrote Slosh   followed by it and it blanked it LOL
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

john zemba

How is the sealer working out? I have heard nothing but negative redults from using it. Like sooner or later it plugging the lines and filter  from it working off.

john zemba

how big is that tank- dimensions and how much fuel will it carry-

flt-blk

I made a sheet metal tank on my fendered A pickup.  It is in the back and looks like a rolled pan.  18 gallons.

I have used POR-15 tank sealer twice and it woks great.  Both tanks I
sealed were on my A and in 30k miles it looks like brand new.  I have a
top filler neck, kinda like a fuel cell and look inside it every time I fill up,
no flaking or sluffing off of any sort.  I followed the instructions with the etch and coat.
TZ
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

DW

I fit a tank above the rear kick up and under the back seat in my 28 Tudor. The tank I used was from a 1988 Suzuki Corsa but the same tank is used in a lot of GM small cars. The depth of the tank is about 6", I have a 3" kick up on my car, and it fits above the frame and within the subrails of the body without modifying the tank or subrails and I ran the filler neck out the back of the car. I am also a tall person and have good head room in the back seat.

john zemba

Quote from: "DW"I fit a tank above the rear kick up and under the back seat in my 28 Tudor. The tank I used was from a 1988 Suzuki Corsa but the same tank is used in a lot of GM small cars. The depth of the tank is about 6", I have a 3" kick up on my car, and it fits above the frame and within the subrails of the body without modifying the tank or subrails and I ran the filler neck out the back of the car. I am also a tall person and have good head room in the back seat.