Is there an electrical contractor in the house??

Started by SKR8PN, January 13, 2005, 01:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKR8PN

I need to purchase, a Cutler-Hammer,200 amp automatic transfer switch, for a Stand-by Generator I am going to install,but I can't seem to get a decent price on one in my area. Searchs on the net have been rather fruitless as well. Every where I look,they are 800 to 860 dollars   :shock: for a little box with hardly ANYTHING in IT!!  Anyone here, get any kind of a discount anywhere? Can you "Hook a Brutha up"??
I'd sure appreciate any help. Thanks.
The Briggs and Stratton # is  1814
The part# right out of the Cutler Hammer catalog is:
RTHMFDA20200WRU

The NAED # is 10782114625085

The UPCA# is 782114625088
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Bruce Dorsi

Sorry, but I can't help with the transfer switch, Jim.

I'm just curious--- What did you select for a generator?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

1FATGMC

Quote from: "SKR8PN"I need to purchase, a Cutler-Hammer,200 amp automatic transfer switch, for a Stand-by Generator I am going to install,but I can't seem to get a decent price on one in my area. Searchs on the net have been rather fruitless as well. Every where I look,they are 800 to 860 dollars   :shock: for a little box with hardly ANYTHING in IT!!  Anyone here, get any kind of a discount anywhere? Can you "Hook a Brutha up"??
I'd sure appreciate any help. Thanks.
The Briggs and Stratton # is  1814
The part# right out of the Cutler Hammer catalog is:
RTHMFDA20200WRU

The NAED # is 10782114625085

The UPCA# is 782114625088

I think I would get a car battery, a screw motor like street rods use, a 110 relay from radio shack, a 12 volt relay from radio shack, micro switch, and a cheap breaker box with a pull "on" switch.

The 110 relay would be wired so that when you had 110 power it would be on and you would use the normally open circuit on it to run to the 12 volt relay.

Power goes off and the normally open ( with power) circuit would go to "closed" position and activate the 12 volt relay, through the normally closed micro switch.  That would activate the screw motor and pull the switch on.  At the end of the screw motors stroke pulling the switch on it would hit the micro switch and open the circuit stopping the screw motor as the relay would then open.

Now just do another screw motor and some of these parts in reverse to switch back to normal power when it comes on.  This will all need refining of course I am no way responsible if this all burns your house down  :lol: .

Of course the second option is to buy a monkey and train it to pull the switch when the music it is listening to goes off.

c ya, Sum

Sean

Quote from: "1FATGMC"This will all need refining of course I am no way responsible if this all burns your house down  :lol: .

Sumners starting to think like Rube Goldberg... :wink:

SKR8PN

Sumner.............you ain't right :lol:  :lol: but I love ya anyway :lol:  :lol:

Bruce........I am going to purchase a  Briggs & Stratton/Eaton, 12,000 watt,propane standby unit.   This will replace my 6700 watt Mitsubishi portable genset with a manual transfer switch.
I'm gettin' to darn old to worry about this crap when Willy and I are away :lol:  and this unit is large enough to handle 95% of the stuff in my house. To go any larger would mean a liquid cooled engine and about 3 grand more money :roll:  For 3 grand,I can throw a couple of breakers :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

MrMopar64

SKR8PN
I'll give my brother a call in the morning and see what he can do...
He owns Orange Coast Electric.  I'll post as soon as I know something

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

MrMopar64

Just got ahold of my bro he said he won't have a price for a couple days
so prob Mon or Tue....... Hope you didn't need it yesterday  :lol:
I'll let you know when I hear

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com

SKR8PN

Quote from: "MrMopar64"Just got ahold of my bro he said he won't have a price for a couple days
so prob Mon or Tue....... Hope you didn't need it yesterday  :lol:
I'll let you know when I hear

MM64  8)

Thanks man,I appreciate that!
I am planning on TRYING to get the NEW generator ordered next week sometime.......

Jim in Texas

Here's a manual switch for $329.99 at Harbor Freight Tools -

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42163

Don't know if it's what you're looking for.............

Jim

MrMopar64

SKR8PN
Well got some good and some bad news
My brother said if you can get that Cutler & Hammer switch for 800 bucks get it....... Thats the good news........ Now the bad  :(
His price for it is $2250.00  :shock:  When they gave him the price he called me back to check and see if he got the number wrong but he had the right number so he called his supplier back and had them check again and they still come up with the same thing
Maybe it's a Calif. thing  :? ... Looks like you better buy the monkey  :lol:  :lol:
He don't have any listing for the other brands you listed
Sorry I couldn't help

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com

MrMopar64

Was just look'n on Ebay a new 200 amp 220v are going for about 400 bucks ya might want to check there  :wink:

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com

Leon

Quote from: "1FATGMC"

Of course the second option is to buy a monkey and train it to pull the switch when the music it is listening to goes off.

c ya, Sum
Is that a job offer??? :lol:

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "SKR8PN"I am going to purchase a  Briggs & Stratton/Eaton, 12,000 watt,propane standby unit.

================================

Jim, Did you get squared away yet on a transfer switch?

The reason I ask, is that from what I can see in catalogs, most 12K gen-sets use 100 amp (or smaller) transfer switches.  ....I see that some 20K units are using 100 amp transfer switches, as well.

I'm guessing that your existing panel is rated 200 amps, and that is why you want a 200 amp transfer switch?

Are you allowed by code to put a 100 amp breaker in your existing panel, and feed the transfer switch from that?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!