Any hose guru's out there?

Started by rodrun35, January 19, 2005, 10:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodrun35

I'm running a Borg Warner T-5 5 speed manual transmission. The slave cylinder is a stock hydraulic unit from a GM F body. I have run a braided stainless teflon hose from the clutch master cylinder push rod assemby to the slave cylinder, itself. My question is: what type of hose should I run from the remote fluid reservoir to the master cylinder push rod assembly. The stock line is too short and must be replaced. The reservoir is plastic and the original factory installed hose was clamped to the reservoir and to the master cylinder push rod assembly with nylon wire ties. This is not a pressurized line. The hydraulic fluid (brake fluid) is gravity fed. My concern is the corrosiveness of the hydraulic fluid (brake fluid) eating away the hose; but, at the same time I need a hose that will allow me to clamp and seal to the plastic reservoir and composite master cylinder without requiring much force as it could crack the plastic reservoir.   The hose is a 5/16 ID hose.  Would a fuel line hose suffice?
Also, if you could tell me where I could purchase the suggestions you offer. A lot of the local shops that fabricate hose to carry hydraulic fluid will not even consider providing me a line for a vehicle.  They say it's a liability issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

enjenjo

I generally use Clear vinyl tubing from the hardware store for this. It is not affected by brake fluid.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

You can try a motorcycle store. Most of the late model sportbikes have remote master cyl. these days.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

As I recall VW bugs use a remote master cylinder.  

Must be some hose availible for the restro guys
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)