Stainless or copper flex radiator hose anygood?

Started by 58Apache, February 20, 2004, 09:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58Apache

I like the looks and the utility of the metal flex radiator hoses. BUt.....for some reason I keep seeing in my imagination the thing breaking from engine vibration and torque movement.

Has anyone ran these things for a while? Any problems?

Steve

enjenjo

Don't know about copper, but we use stainless flex hose on our trucks, and some have near 3,000,000 miles on them.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

C9

Where do you find the copper convoluted tubing?

For that matter, where do you find the stainless stuff?

I had an upper radiator hose I never used, got it from Summit I think.
It was copper with chrome plating.
It's on my friends roadster and working ok.

Looks to me like any potential vibration problems will be damped by the rubber connector hoses.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

SKR8PN

I have never heard of anyone having a problem with them breaking or cracking. I have,however,read two different schools of though on the pro's and con's as to the effects to the cooling system. First thought is that they help the system by dissapaiting a little bit of heat thru the convolutes,thereby making the system more efficient. Second thought was that perhaps the convolutes slowed down the flow of coolant enough to hinder cooling,thereby hurting system efficiency.

Personally? I think they help more than they hurt,and they look good as well.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

32tom

Quote from: "58Apache"I like the looks and the utility of the metal flex radiator hoses. BUt.....for some reason I keep seeing in my imagination the thing breaking from engine vibration and torque movement.

Has anyone ran these things for a while? Any problems?

Steve

These have been on there since 97. They are chrome plated copper. They were supposed to be temporary until I could find a molded hose that fit. :lol:  Flex connectors for refrigeration and exhaust systems are made of corrogated tubing just like this to prevent vibration cracking. You'll have no problems with that.
Too dumb to know any better and too old to care.

Kctom

Quote from: "C9"Where do you find the copper convoluted tubing?

For that matter, where do you find the stainless stuff?

I had an upper radiator hose I never used, got it from Summit I think.
It was copper with chrome plating.
It's on my friends roadster and working ok.

Looks to me like any potential vibration problems will be damped by the rubber connector hoses.

Got mine on e-bay. A dealer by the name of rod parts dealer. Good prices on his stuff. Have bought alot of stuff from him