Cabovers

Started by snooze, February 12, 2004, 07:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSub

Quote from: "enjenjo"start with a 3/4 ton frame

That's handy.  My '47 is a 3/4-ton.

I've thought I would swap the IFS from a '73 - '87 3/4- or 1-ton under the front if I used the existing frame.  My thinking is that with the offset of the dually type wheels the extra width issues might go away.  I've imagined that the P30 would be way too wide, but since I haven't measured it (its not here yet) I'm only guessing.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

enjenjo

Here's a little trick you can try. Use a 3/4 ton, or 1 ton single tire front end. You can make an adapter, out of steel, to space the 1 ton dually rims out just enough to clear the caliper. It should allow you to narrow the front track a couple inches on each side.  the adapter would have a set of holes to bolt on to the existing lug bolts, and a second set of lug bolts to bolt the dually wheel to. Arrow make such an adapter, but it moves the dually wheel out 4" or so, to set the tire in the stock position. You might be able to use late model 4x4 3/4 ton wheels, they have more offset to clear the hubs, and no adapter would be needed. The front wheels would be different that the rear, but that is not generally a problem. Just carry a spare for the front, if one of the back tires blow, you can just take it off, and run on one tire to get repairs.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Mac

Quote from: "snooze"We got anyone here that is into Ugly COE Trucks like me,
or am I the only Victim of this disease.

Snooze

I love um too! I've got a `69 Ford C550; came with 330, 4+2, 12' diamond plate flatbed. (somedayproject).  :?
Who\'s yer Data?

OldSub

Quote from: "enjenjo"Here's a little trick you can try. Use a 3/4 ton, or 1 ton single tire front end. You can make an adapter, out of steel, to space the 1 ton dually rims out just enough to clear the caliper. ...

I found this for sale on everyone's favorite auction site.

The seller says "the finders had to be custom made".  I assume that's a typo, and means fenders.  These appear to be dually type wheels, and they seem to be real close to the outside edge of the fender.

This truck isn't quite what I'm thinking, and I don't have $10,000 to spend on a toy right now anyway, but the builder sure accomplished a lot of what I want to.  I want either a utility bed with lots of boxes, or just a pickup bed.

Steve@OldSub.com

moparrodder

Steve, check this link and see if it is the look you are after, only maybe not a 4dr cab. Saw it at the Good Guys show last September in Kansas City.   http://photo.starblvd.net/moparrodder/3-4-4-1070635456?m=0&pg=2&ro=3&co=3      Bill :)

OldSub

Quote from: "moparrodder"Saw it at the Good Guys show last September in Kansas City.

I like it!

Did the front wheels stick out past the fender, or am I not seeing it right?

Steve@OldSub.com

moparrodder

Quote from: "OldSub"
Quote from: "moparrodder"Saw it at the Good Guys show last September in Kansas City.

I like it!

Did the front wheels stick out past the fender, or am I not seeing it right?
Yes I think they did about an inch and a half. It looked like it had a newer chasis under it but it sure was a clean truck.  Bill :)

OldSub

Steve@OldSub.com