Tech-low buck tent camper

Started by purplepickup, January 08, 2005, 01:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

Since the snow is flying up here, I've been sorting thru some pictures and thought I'd post some I took at the 50th US Nationals at Indy last fall.  Winter is a good time to reflect on some things we did last summer.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot ....this is a pop up camper tech post.

First you start with utility trailer...most any kind will do.

Then you throw on some 2x4's an bungie cords

Now you throw some tarps over that and you have a home...that's about as hi-tech as it gets :wink:

I stayed here 6 nights .....had a great time

A shot from the neighbor's

The yard

I posted some more pics I took at the NHRA US Nationals in 2 webshots albums.  This one has a lot of nostalgia stuff in it since it was the 50th anniversary:   http://community.webshots.com/album/246402942hvQOpF  

And this one has some off the wall racing shots and a few campground pictures:  http://community.webshots.com/album/246407605LvNrop

There's two pages to each album.  If you click on the "normal view" button above the picture it's clearer.
George

WZ JUNK

You have missed your calling.   You should have been a RV designer.  You prototype would have done well to the south and west of me.  However, I must admit that I like it.  And I commend your creativity.  It follows along with the KISS philosophy and I try to keep that it my mind when I do something.  Can I borrow it?  If I do not spend more time in the house and less time in the shop, I may need to start living in a shelter like that.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

phat46

Quote from: "purplepickup"Since the snow is flying up here, I've been sorting thru some pictures and thought I'd post some I took at the 50th US Nationals at Indy last fall.  Winter is a good time to reflect on some things we did last summer.

Dang George, you sure like tarps and bungees!!!  (inside joke for people who have helped setup the RRT "site" at Kalamazoo.)
That's actually a good idea, now if you could use some conduit tubing, a couple clear plastic "windows" a piece of carpet, a porta potty, a small fridge.... :lol:

GPster

The flat-bed frame on my pick-up project is 42" by 51". I was think about something like that so I could drive it to Bonneville and camp out at "the wide spot" but I'd probably have to sleep in the "fetal position" and it's been so long. Drove the project accross the street the other day to a high spot the other day under it's own power. It's dry but I need to check and see if anyone stole my new battery. GPster

purplepickup

Quote from: "GPster"The flat-bed frame on my pick-up project is 42" by 51". I was think about something like that so I could drive it to Bonneville and camp out at "the wide spot"
I've got a friend that sleeps in the back of his '40 pickup.  His is a little more hi-tech than my trailer tho.  He used a real tent.  

Joe, you could make a slide out extension for your flatbed to make it long enough for sleeping....screw some eyehooks into the floor for tent stakes and you're ready to go. :D  

Just because I live in a van down by the river doesn't mean I'm dumb 8)
George

Crosley.In.AZ

certainly an easy , simple setup.

Janice and I found out we ain't camper type folks years ago.  We tried it a few times after we had been married a few years .  Never seemed to be happy or sleep at all.

On trips to Pomona swap meets we have slept inside a blazer we had.  Even slept in the back of a 57 chevy truck we drove over with parts to sell.

Every OE part I had taken to sell that fit a 37 to 42 Willys was gone in short order at Pomona!
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Sean

Good idea, but doesn't it get pretty hot and sticky during the summer? I guess the cracks between the boards would let some air flow through though...

purplepickup

I hope you guys realize that I'm not seriously calling this a tech post.  Like my life, the tech part of it is a joke :-o   I was just sorting some pictures of Indy to put in an album for my friends and thought I'd post something here to break the winter blahs.  I did stay in the "pop-up" for a week when the daytime temps were near 100 in humid Indianapolis, but I usually didn't go to sleep til 3 or 4 AM and the trees shaded the morning sun so it didn't get hot til noon.  Racing starts at 7:30AM everyday and lasts til dark so I didn't spend any time in it during the day.  We had an air conditioned camping trailer too for when it got too hot or it was raining. :D  My tarp trailer was like the Taj Mahal compared to some of the things people called home for that week.  Hmmm...Tarp Mahal....I might have to put that on the mailbox next year. :lol:

You ought to see our shower.  Yup, PVC pipe and a tarp. 8)
George

Looks like Fun!! My favorite is the string of "Bud Lights" :lol:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Jimmy Jay

Well George, as an RVer of some note I must say the innovation is great; nice and streamlined for towing, ventilation, open air when you want it.

Just one observation, tho.  The lilttle red toilet might just give you some problems down the road, although "dumping" appears to be easy; just pick it up and shake it.  :D  Maybe a little more privacy, though.

Talk to you at work...

Jay
Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.  :wink:

n.c.rodder

George,
Do you remember when they use to let campers like that along the highway at St. Ignace??

Boy have times changed!!

Mike

P.S.  I slept in one like that one year.
Till we meet - On the street

purplepickup

Quote from: "n.c.rodder"George,
Do you remember when they use to let campers like that along the highway at St. Ignace??

Boy have times changed!!

Mike

P.S.  I slept in one like that one year.
Yes I do.  Some people thought those days of camping in the middle of the cloverleaf were a little too loose, but for me they were my favorite years at St Ignace. :D
George

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "purplepickup"...snip
Snip ...
That's great; very innovative.
Camping is fun, and usually the way we go.  A lot of the events in Australia have camping on-site, and there is always something going on.  Although, with a young family, we need a few more creature comforts.
We bought this pop-up a while back; actually these shots are five years ago! It is very light to tow, and it was very cheap.  It has a queen-size double bed, and with the main section having steel tubular bows it folds up in a few minutes. (12' x 6'). It also has the annex, for longer stays, that zips on and makes a 12' x 12' 'tent'.  Underneath we put in bunks, stove, cooler, tables etc etc. as needed, and it all stays dry.  We can lash more stuff like bikes on top.  Very handy.

At a pinch you could lift the camper from the box trailer, and use the trailer, but we just leave it attached.