56 Ford wagon

Started by parklane, January 05, 2005, 09:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parklane

OK boys and girls, here's the scoop. I'm doing up a 56 Parklane and need some advice from the experienced ones.  Planning on using Granada/Monarch spindle to achieve disc brakes, and a little lower front end, rear end from same doner car, and a 302/AOD drive train.  Apparently the spindles bolt on after reeming the lower balljoint.The problem is that these doner cars are getting really scarce in these parts (as can't find one). :shock:  I'm also not convinced that the 302 will have enough power, Maybe 351W? :?

Open to anyone shooting holes in my ideas or advice

Thanks
John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

enjenjo

That same spindle was used on Torino, Ranchero, Monarch, Comet, and Montego, for several years in the 70's. They are all rear steer, an easy way to recognise them.

I had a 351W in my 55, I was more than happy with it. Of course I built a 53 with a 302, and that was fine too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

You're talking the same basics of my 53 chevy truck. I used the hubs and rotors on the pickup spindles. The rest is 80 monarch. For some reason, mine had a square tube 9" in it. The axle bearings were only 2 and7/8's though. I also used the fuel tank, steering column, brake booster, wiring harness, and front seat. The front caliper mount required facrication but was fairly simple.  By using the entire monarch brake system, I didn't have to do any engineering.  The engine and trans were from an 83 tbird. I changed cams, installed mustang gt headers and threw away the tbody injection. I've got 4.11's in the back so it runs fair for a small engine. The overdrive is hard to beat.
TEAM SMART

parklane

Quote from: "enjenjo"That same spindle was used on Torino, Ranchero, Monarch, Comet, and Montego, for several years in the 70's. They are all rear steer, an easy way to recognise them.

I had a 351W in my 55, I was more than happy with it. Of course I built a 53 with a 302, and that was fine too.

Frank  I was told that only the Granada/Moarch had the correct spindles. Have you had any experience in comparing the others that you listed? :?

Thanks
John

enjenjo

I haven't used them all, but I know from experience the Maverick/Comet,75 to 77 and Granada/Monarch 75 to 80 use the same spindles. The early Maverick used a different spindle, they had 4 lug hubs. The easiest way to spot them, they are all rear steer, with a rotor measuring about 10.5 inches diameter. Hollander number is 645

I have used the Torino/Montego/Ranchero Spindle too, it has a bigger rotor, and I think one of the ball joints is different. Hollander number is 716

32 Chevy

Quote from: "parklane"OK boys and girls, here's the scoop. I'm doing up a 56 Parklane and need some advice from the experienced ones.  Planning on using Granada/Monarch spindle to achieve disc brakes, and a little lower front end, rear end from same doner car, and a 302/AOD drive train.  Apparently the spindles bolt on after reeming the lower balljoint.The problem is that these doner cars are getting really scarce in these parts (as can't find one). :shock:  I'm also not convinced that the 302 will have enough power, Maybe 351W? :?

Thanks
John

I have done exactly the swap the same swap; I bought a complete donor granada and used many parts for my 56 Ranchwagon.

The Spindles are as close to a bolt in swap as anyone could want. I also used the entire power brake system including booster, m/c, proportioning valve, lines, etc.

Then  I rebuilt the 302 with the usual Edelbrock stuff. It runs very nicely for a daily driver with this engine. Originally I also used the c-4 but changed it to an AOD recently for obvious reasons.  It's not a rocket but  certainly has respectable performance. I use the car on vacation and recently towed a boat over the Cascade mountains with the Ranchwagon and it did just fine.  But now I'm thinking seriously of adding  more power and just bought a used 302 H.O with mass air injection. I like the Edelbrock carburetor setup, its easy to tune and runs well but I just Guess it's time for this shadetree mechanic to learn about the fuel injection stuff. Projects are never done, huh?

If you buy a granada/ Monarch, take a look at the differential. They came with 3 different rear ends, the 8", an oddball 8.5" and a few rare 9" ers. Naturally mine ( The granada diff will bolt right in, no mods needed) had the 8.5 , and there are no reasonable ways to change the gears in that orphan diff. So I had to go find an 8" from a boneyard Granada so I could put decent gears in it when I changed to the AOD. I hate having to do stuff over again....

I also used quite a few other small parts from the donor just because it was so convenient to walk 12 steps and take what I needed so I think it's woorth the effort to find a donor. Much cheaper, too. I bought my donor for $500. Obviously purchasing all those parts separately will be WAY more.

I'll be glad to offer more advice/ detail photos as needed...just fire away....

I know where there are two dead Granadas in Eastern Washington, near the town of Republic. The owner would probably let you have one or the other for next to nothing. Both cars are complete, one is a v8 the other a 6.

Cheers,

Dave R

enjenjo

I revised my last post, I checked the Hollander, and there are two different spindles. I have used both, and never really noticed a difference, but I think one of them needs a ball joint change to work.

kb426

I'm a ranch fan. Looks great.
TEAM SMART

parklane

Dave Nice wagon!!  Thanks for the info on the donor car swap, and locations of available donor car candidates, but Washington is a little far for me to go (about 2500 miles) Did you find that the 302 had enough grunt to pull the wagon? I'm planning on towing a couple of motorcycles occasionally, that's why I was concidering the 351W.

Later
John
Quote from: "32 Chevy"
Quote from: "parklane"OK boys and girls, here's the scoop. I'm doing up a 56 Parklane and need some advice from the experienced ones.  Planning on using Granada/Monarch spindle to achieve disc brakes, and a little lower front end, rear end from same doner car, and a 302/AOD drive train.  Apparently the spindles bolt on after reeming the lower balljoint.The problem is that these doner cars are getting really scarce in these parts (as can't find one). :shock:  I'm also not convinced that the 302 will have enough power, Maybe 351W? :?

Thanks
John

I have done exactly the swap the same swap; I bought a complete donor granada and used many parts for my 56 Ranchwagon.

The Spindles are as close to a bolt in swap as anyone could want. I also used the entire power brake system including booster, m/c, proportioning valve, lines, etc.

Then  I rebuilt the 302 with the usual Edelbrock stuff. It runs very nicely for a daily driver with this engine. Originally I also used the c-4 but changed it to an AOD recently for obvious reasons.  It's not a rocket but  certainly has respectable performance. I use the car on vacation and recently towed a boat over the Cascade mountains with the Ranchwagon and it did just fine.  But now I'm thinking seriously of adding  more power and just bought a used 302 H.O with mass air injection. I like the Edelbrock carburetor setup, its easy to tune and runs well but I just Guess it's time for this shadetree mechanic to learn about the fuel injection stuff. Projects are never done, huh?

If you buy a granada/ Monarch, take a look at the differential. They came with 3 different rear ends, the 8", an oddball 8.5" and a few rare 9" ers. Naturally mine ( The granada diff will bolt right in, no mods needed) had the 8.5 , and there are no reasonable ways to change the gears in that orphan diff. So I had to go find an 8" from a boneyard Granada so I could put decent gears in it when I changed to the AOD. I hate having to do stuff over again....

I also used quite a few other small parts from the donor just because it was so convenient to walk 12 steps and take what I needed so I think it's woorth the effort to find a donor. Much cheaper, too. I bought my donor for $500. Obviously purchasing all those parts separately will be WAY more.

I know where there are two dead Granadas in Eastern Washington, near the town of Republic. The owner would probably let you have one or the other for next to nothing. Both cars are complete, one is a v8 the other a 6.

Cheers,

Dave R

32 Chevy

Quote from: "parklane"Dave Nice wagon!!  Thanks for the info on the donor car swap, and locations of available donor car candidates, but Washington is a little far for me to go (about 2500 miles) Did you find that the 302 had enough grunt to pull the wagon? I'm planning on towing a couple of motorcycles occasionally, that's why I was concidering the 351W.

John,

You will have absolutely no problem towing a motorcycle trailer with the 302. As I said, several times I have towed a boat over the Cascade mountians with the 302 powered Ranchwagon. I never dropped below 60 mph in 3rd gear. I also have the original 56 radiator which works just fine....when you think about it, the original 312 was a much less efficient motor then the 302. A fan shroud is a good idea, though.

A 351 would be fun, but not necessary for a daily driver.

Dave

Later
John
Quote from: "32 Chevy"

Thanks
John

Cheers,

Dave R