EFI question

Started by jaybee, January 03, 2005, 10:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

This is a follow up question to a couple of weeks ago when my son's 3.1L MPI '91 Lumina was dying without warning.  I can't reproduce the problem on my own.  Here's the situation: In cold weather (that's below 30F for you CA/AL/Southern hemisphere types, not below 70) the car will start instantly but die suddenly a short while later and refuse to restart, flooded.

I can only find one thing I'm doing differently than he is.  He starts the car and doesn't touch the pedal until it's warmed up and he's ready to go.  I usually goose it gently as the idle starts to come down and maybe once in a while as I scrape ice and so forth.  Definitely a throwback to the days of carbs that always seemed to run too lean or too rich in the transition off choke.

Is it reasonable to expect to just hit the key and ignore it while it warms up?  Or is this possibly an early sign of something more serious going wrong?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

unklian

Does the car die on both of you ? Or just one ?

jaybee

Quote from: "unklian"Does the car die on both of you ? Or just one ?

Just him, I can't kill the thing.

Crosley.In.AZ

have you flushed out the passage way for the IAC motor?

Any internal flushing / carb spray on the throttle bores?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

Quote from: "Crosley"have you flushed out the passage way for the IAC motor?

Any internal flushing / carb spray on the throttle bores?

Not yet, I'll try that next.

model a vette

I have the same problem only in reverse! I replaced my step-son's Tempo with a '92 Lumina. I corrected the few things wrong with it before turning it over to him. (well MOST of the problems!)
While I had the car it would slowly idle down, when hot and die. I did some work on the Alt so the computer reset while the battery was disconnected. I only had the problem once after that but he has never complained about it stalling.
Perhaps "zeroing" the computer's memory would help?
Ed