New guy says hello and has some questions

Started by BrendenCO, January 04, 2005, 12:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrendenCO

Just wanted to say hi.  I'm new to rod's but I've been playing with cars for quite a while.  My awesome website :roll:  

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=248191&make_ty

I'm thinking of building a Model A rod and found a style that I'm using for inspiration but I don't know what parts are from what car.  You can see pictures here

http://www.hotrodsurf.com/Hot_Rods/skullator/skull2.htm

I want to know what type of suspension is on the front end, was this a stock Model A front end?  I love the single spring look.  

Also, any thoughts on the chassis?  I'm guessing it is an original Model A frame that has been Z'ed on both ends.  How do you get the body to sit so low on the chassis?  Will the frame just need to pass through the cabin or be boxed into the cabin?  

Where can I find original chasis dimentions online?

Thanks for any help.  This looks like a great community!!   :D

sirstude

Welcome to the mayhem.  Anybody that has a 65 Impala is ok in my book.  Most of those rides like you are thinking of that I have seen mount the engine and tranny on top of the frame and everything hangs out in the breeze.  I think that one probably has air bags or something adjustable on the spring mounts to let it sit down like that when it parks.

Good luck
Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

GPster

I'll say hi too. A lot of what I think I know falls into the realm of those pictures, I'd say that the front axel is from a Model "A" 1928 - 1931 with later model spindles on it with hydralic brakes. The spindles were put on the oposite sides (right on left and left on right) to get some moving room for the tie rod. That move kind of throws the Ackerman Theory out of the window but some people do it. The wishbones have been split and because the front of the frame is so deeply "Z"ed they pivot on the verticle leg of the "Z" rather than at the bottom of the frame as is the usual practice but for that design it is in the proper place for the components used. They mention that it is channeled which usually means raising the floor section inside the body  so that the bottom of the sides of the body are around the sides of the frame rather than on top of the frame. I didn't see any interior shots so you don't really know where the transmission and driveshaft are, but imagining the components and their mounting height I'd imagine that the transmission and driveshaft are in full view in the cockpit and the floor is under it all. The rear spring appears to be over the rear axel which would bring the Model "A" rear spring with the big hump in the center to mind. The rear of the frame has also been "Z"ed to put frame down where it needs to be to mount the rear of the body and then put frame high enough to mount the rear spring. You'll also notice the big gas tank on the rear. That is not just there for show. The original "A" gas tank was part of the body in front of the windshield. It doesn't take many modifications for you to find a place to move it to. I've been typing so long I forgot what the question was. GPster

phat46

Quote from: "BrendenCO"Just wanted to say hi.  I'm new to rod's but I've been playing with cars for quite a while.  My awesome website :roll:  

I'm thinking of building a Model A rod and found a style that I'm using for inspiration but I don't know what parts are from what car.  You can see pictures here

I want to know what type of suspension is on the front end, was this a stock Model A front end?  I love the single spring look.  

Also, any thoughts on the chassis?  I'm guessing it is an original Model A frame that has been Z'ed on both ends.  How do you get the body to sit so low on the chassis?  Will the frame just need to pass through the cabin or be boxed into the cabin?  

Welcome!
That car is kinda neat! The frontend is "suicide" style. That does look like an "A" axle as we know it now. BTW if you look at the "axle I.D." post just below this one you'll see that Purplepickup might just have one of those axles he'd sell you   :wink:

BrendenCO

Thanks for the feedback guys!  I will post some pictures when/if I get this project going.

Thanks!

47wood

Welcome to the RRT.  Looks like you're starting on an interesting project.  Post some pics when you can.   :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

Dave

Quote from: "BrendenCO"Just wanted to say hi.  I'm new to rod's but I've been playing with cars for quite a while.  My awesome website :roll:  

I looked at all the rides on that link hotrod surf .com  and one thing is certian. The blondes boobies gotta be built outa cement  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  The other one is really proud of her tattoo.... I did find the rods very interesting though.
Dave