Search the WEB or Hollander

Started by GPster, January 04, 2005, 09:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Does anyone have access to a Hollander manual that shows '54 and earlier? When I search the web I mostly come up with places you can buy one. I'd only like to access one and get some information. By the time I go through 56,000 choices I forget what I'm looking for. I'm smart enough to have gone from "Tinker Toys" to "Erecter Sets" and I get scared by "Legos" so the WEB is past my wildest dreams. Playing with ideas arround a Pontiac Straight 8 engine and due to my practical nature (cheap) I'd just like to gather some information about what bolts to it. GPster

purplepickup

Quote from: "GPster"I'd just like to gather some information about what bolts to it. GPster
...Like what other transmissions bolt up?  I just did a quick search and it doesn't look like you have many options without making an adapter.
George

enjenjo

I have one Joe, what do you need?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "GPster"I'd just like to gather some information about what bolts to it. GPster
...Like what transmissions bolt up?.
In a differant way of thinking here's the story in a 1954 frame of mind.  What I have kind of picked up is this.  The last Pontiac straight 8 was 268.? cubes and had been use for a number of years til it died in '54 It came with a standard transmission (of Olds,Buick,Cad or Chevy style?) and also  4 speed the Hydra-matic which gave them the problem of supply in'53 when the factory burned and all the B.O.P. transmission where in short supply. To get out of a hole some '53 pontiacs came with Powerglides. I wondered if they could do that for one model year if there is a sameness between the back of the Pontiac engine and the chevy six? I also wondered that because the Pontiac straight 8 goes back into the '30s and Oldsmobile had one and Buick had one (although with overhead valves) and Cad(?) if the blocks had interchangeable motor plates/starter mount and bellhousings. The engine I know about has a standard shift bellhousing on it but no transmission. Pontiac falls in my middle ground as far as memory goes and I can't picture a transmission bolt pattern and especially the patern on the back of the block or if the bellhousing was the type that bolted to a motor plate or directly to the back of the block. The old Hollander manuals I've seen had some tricks for the junkyard people on some strange engine combinations and I just got curious. GPster

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "GPster"Does anyone have access to a Hollander manual that shows '54 and earlier? When I search the web I mostly come up with places you can buy one. I'd only like to access one and get some information. By the time I go through 56,000 choices I forget what I'm looking for. I'm smart enough to have gone from "Tinker Toys" to "Erecter Sets" and I get scared by "Legos" so the WEB is past my wildest dreams. Playing with ideas arround a Pontiac Straight 8 engine and due to my practical nature (cheap) I'd just like to gather some information about what bolts to it. GPster

GPster:

There are two types of Hollander transmission interchange:

"Type I" is for what Hollander calls an "Identical Transmission Unit Interchange", and are as follows:

Synchro-mesh (manual)

1949-'54 Pontiac
Hollander # 375

#375 fits

Pontiac '49-'54 synchro-mesh only

Hydra-matic

Pontiac '52-'54
Hollander #79

#79 also found in...

Kaiser - '52-'55
Hudson - '52-'54
Pontiac - '52-'54
Nash - '52-'54

Some require minor modifications to fit other applications such as switching shift levers, tailshaft housings, etc.

Notes also suggest that the #79 is a "dual-range" transmission whcih can be replaced by the "single-range" transmission #260 - with shift linkage adjustments.

Unfortunately, the Hollander #260 fits the same range of early-'50s vehicles.

Probably be easier to find and modify a Pontiac tranny to fit a Kaiser than the other way around....don't you think??

"Type II" is what is called "Case and Main Drive Gear Interchange"

In this case, the numbers for the '54 Pontiac are as follows...

'50-'54 Pontiac standard transmission
Hollander #409

Hollander #409 also fits....

'40-'55 Buick
'40-'50 Olds
'40-'54 Pontiac

There are, of course, notes on changing rear bearing housings and mainshafts, but the note indicates that the transmissions bolt up to all indicated flywheel housings and rear bearing housings.

Unfortunately, the '48-'56 Hydramatic listing in the "Case & M.D.G." section refers you to the "Identical Interchange" section.

Also, while GM trannies swapped across lines - probably due to external vendors more than anything else - GM wasn't into "corporate engines" as early as Ford and Chrysler, so all the flywheel housings (Hollander term) were different from the '40s through the mid-'50s for the Buick,  Caddy, Chevy, Olds and Pontiac.

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

GPster

Bob, that's the kind of information I remember but I forgot one point. I don't have the book in front of me and you read and transposed all that information and typed it out. THANK YOU I'm surprised that there was no footnote on '53s with the powerglides. They must just be refering to it as the 2 speed trans that was available through the early '50s. Pontiac sites mention it like they never had any automatics but the hydra-matic. I'll have to print all that information and read it like a book. I'll see what other questions I might have and between you and Frank maybe I'll get smart enough to forget it. Thanks again. GPster

GPster

The Hollander information that Bob provided certainly narrows down the thought process. It would seem that if I was going that way I should start with a package rather than a piece from here and hope to find another piece somewhere else. The people that tested me and told me I was fit to drive suggested I stay with an automatic transmission. Just like any kid that just got his drivers license (back) I sometimes think I may be smarter than them. If I was to decide to plan around a standard transmission I'd be looking at a very light vehicle and a low reving engine with some torque.I suppose that the standard transmissions listed all start in the year 1940 because that's the year they went to column shift. I wonder if the previous years with floor shifts will bolt to the later flywheel housings. If this idea continues and this thing develops into a single-seater and the transmission ends up between my ankles  then a top-shifting transmission might be better than a side-shifter. I'll sleep on it. GPster

rooster

Went to a guys house today to use his plasma cutter he had a 47 olds straight 8 complete with trans 100 if you want it! In St Louis! :idea:

GPster

Quote from: "rooster"a 47 olds straight 8 complete with trans 100 if you want it! In St Louis! :idea:
Got a little too much on my mind right no but my first thought would be to pass on that. Passed on a '51 Buick with trans and rear end that was only 70 miles away the other day. He got the car with the engine out and sold the car and still had the other parts laying around. He couldn't even tell me if it had a standard or automatic transmission. He was the kind of seller that couldn't tell you anything but it was old so it had to be valuable. Right now I'm almost looking at the Ohio River and current predictions are anywhere between 4' less than September to  2' more than September so I'm moving what I can now. Evan at there best guess it will be to the point that it could be lost if it's not moved. GPster

rooster

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "rooster"a 47 olds straight 8 complete with trans 100 if you want it! In St Louis! :idea:
Got a little too much on my mind right no but my first thought would be to pass on that. Passed on a '51 Buick with trans and rear end that was only 70 miles away the other day. He got the car with the engine out and sold the car and still had the other parts laying around. He couldn't even tell me if it had a standard or automatic transmission. He was the kind of seller that couldn't tell you anything but it was old so it had to be valuable. Right now I'm almost looking at the Ohio River and current predictions are anywhere between 4' less than September to  2' more than September so I'm moving what I can now. Evan at there best guess it will be to the point that it could be lost if it's not moved. GPster
Stay on it Joe! Wish I lived closer to help! All rivers in st louis area will be over flood stage by friday!