Tranny cooler question, opnions wanted

Started by Dirk35, January 03, 2005, 07:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk35

I talked to my radiator guy today, and he said he would try to put  a cooler for the tanny in the radiator, but didnt think he would be able to  due to the hump in the bottom of the radiator support where the crank would have went through. He said I should just get an aftermarket cooler, and mount it anywhere convient and not worry about it. He also showed me the cooler out o fan import, and it was nothing larger than the size of a few rolls of 50cent peices end-to-end. It couldnt have been more than 5 inches long.

I do have a NAPA tranny cooler that Ive had for a while. I didnt tell him about it.

He stated that unles sIm pulling a trailer, it doesnt make that much difference with the heat transfer in the radiator, and that a aftermarket on in the bed would even work better than one inthe tank.

Would it be sufficient to just mount the NAPA cooler in the bed of the truck and not worry about it?

What are your opnions on this?

tom36

All I have ever used is an external cooler tucked up out of the way and in a place to get some air flow, and I have never had a problem. I figure I have enough trying to use the radiator to keep the engine cool without passing hot transmission fluid thru it also.  just my $.02  Tom..

Crosley.In.AZ

liquid to liquid coolers function at a higher   efficiency than air to liquid coolers... That is why the in radiator tank cooler is smaller
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat rat

I've got a cooler with a fan on it mounted way back by the rear end on my 41 cpe. Run a tranny temp gauge and have a switch for the fan and only use it if I get in prolonged stop & go traffic. Running down the highway it runs about 160
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.