Brake line flair

Started by Kctom, December 28, 2004, 08:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kctom

Going to install a brake combo valve off a Fiero in the pontiac. Seem all the 3/16" lines are regular inverted flair. However th 1/4" line for the rear brakes are a different type flair. Kinda like a buble. The auto parts stores all have this flair in 3/16" only. Where do I get the 1/4" type?
TOM :?:

47convert

Don't know, but it sounds like the flares used on British cars years ago. Are these making a comeback? Or is it something new?

enjenjo

A lot of the new cars are going to bubble flares. They are ISO rated. You can buy a bubble flare tool, but they are $$$$. I think most anyparts store should be able to order 1/4" bubble flare tubing, or an adapter to go from bubble flare to inverted flare.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Check Autozone to see if they have the tool; they rent them out, when you return it, you get your deposit back.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

C9

Quote from: "enjenjo"A lot of the new cars are going to bubble flares. They are ISO rated. You can buy a bubble flare tool, but they are $$$$. I think most anyparts store should be able to order 1/4" bubble flare tubing, or an adapter to go from bubble flare to inverted flare.

Is the bubble flare something you could accomplish with a double flare tool?
Just stop the second flare before it collapses into the first flare.

A little experimentation would probably be required to get the right size etc., but it seems the soft brake line steel would crush down to where it's required.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

flt-blk

I just went through this hooking up a 69 Vette master cylinder to a 88
Firebird GTA proportioning valve.

I made a run to the wrecking yard and got the bubble flare lines off a
donor car and  cut off one end, made an inverted flare on the other
side to hook it all up to everything else.

I had to do this on all 4 in/out of the proportioning valve.
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

enjenjo

You might be able to make a bubble flare as C9 suggests. I could get about 1 out of 3 to work.  I sucked it up and bought the right tool.

FWIW, the tubing is not 1/4" but 6mm. Just enough difference that if you use 1/4" tubing in the bubble flare tool, it wants to slip. A wrap of masking tape will keep it from slipping. Also most of the bubble flare tubing is a bit harder than the bundyflex we are used to, so check any flares you do closely for cracking.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.