Anyone know of a source...

Started by Leon, January 06, 2005, 03:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

For the hard rubber tack strip that goes around doors, windows, etc.?  I've found stuff sized for convertible top installation but it won't fit the channels on the body.  I need 3/4 x 5/16, 9/16 x 3/8, 3/4 x 1/8, and 1 1/8 x 1/8, altho the last one I could make do with the 3/4 inch wide stuff.  I'm prepping the body to go down to L.A. to be chem stripped and the old tack strip came apart in thousands of pieces.  Didn't figure it would be much good anyway.  I've used wood strips to repair some in the past but it holds moisture which is why I'd like to find the rubber stuff.  The rubber stuff seems to hold tacks and staples better, too.
Thanks
Leon

btrc

I got mine from Bob Drake but I think most places that sell restoration stuff would handle it.

Bob
Bob

Charlie Chops 1940

I've not found the exact same stuff anywhere.

My upholstery guy makes it from black upholstery backing board and glues it in the slots, however many plies it takes to bring it out to the edge, then bends the retainers back over it.

I used liquid nail when I did it for the Nomad I used to have. Worked out just dandy.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

tom36

rooster

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I've not found the exact same stuff anywhere.

My upholstery guy makes it from black upholstery backing board and glues it in the slots, however many plies it takes to bring it out to the edge, then bends the retainers back over it.

I used liquid nail when I did it for the Nomad I used to have. Worked out just dandy.

Charlie
On my 37 Ford the black sticky stuff seems to be alot like roofing materal just plyed together, sorta like tar paper but thicker!

Leon

Quote from: "tom36"Try here:     http://www.lebaronbonney.com/    Tom..

I looked at them and they only have 1/4" and 1/8" thick stuff like used on convertible tops.  I found the same at other places like Kanter, and a few upholstery supply shops I deal with.

Charlie Chops 1940

I had a top custom made for my convert 12-13 years ago and had some of that rubber tack strip to be used on the front bow and where the top joins the body above the trunk lid. My upholsterer took one look at it, took it out and made up the glued together board stuff.  So far, so good.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

2rods

I made mine from alder. Worked perfectly.