overdrive tranny

Started by 48 super D, December 28, 2004, 06:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48 super D

Hey Guys,

I need a little help here.  I want to do either an LS-1 or LT-1 in my 48 Ford.  The problem iI have is that I want to use an overdrive transmission.  I know that a 700r4 will work, but the x-frame has to be modified.  What about using a 200r4?  Will that fit without modifying the x frame?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks and Happy pre-New Year.

enjenjo

The 200R4 may fit , but if there is trimming necessary, it won't be near as much as a 700R4. For that matter, the trimming for the 700R4 is not as difficult as it may seem, it is all on the bottom of the X member.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48 super D

what about using a 4l80e or 4l60e?  Thanks for the input.

enjenjo

4L60E is similar in size to a 700R4, 4L80E is bigger.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "48 super D"what about using a 4l80e or 4l60e?  Thanks for the input.

Those would also need a computer to operate them.  The others you mentioned wouldn't.

c ya, Sum

47wood

Quote from: "48 super D"what about using a 4l80e or 4l60e?  Thanks for the input.

The 700R4 will be fine on the LT1 but You'll be happier with the 4L60e on the LS1.  A lot of LS1s are starting to become available out of wrecks with 4L60e on them.  You can find them on eBay with 90/180 day warranties.  If you go for one be sure to get the Mass AirFlow, Computer, and O2 censors thrown in.  Alot of times they try to sell you those separate.  My position is "...those came with the engine originally and are part of it."   :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

48ford

I am insaling a 200 in my 46 ford right now.
It now has a turbo 350,and the x was opened up for this ,but you have to open it up more for the 200,and the 700 is bigger yet.I still have a solid axle uop front so I an dealing with the wishbones too,but if it was easy everyone would do it.
I got to start taking pictures of these things.
The difference is that the pan is longer on the 200 so the x has to be cut more,what I did ,and it's not the only way,was fab uf two sides running front to back(one on each side). This opened the x for the new tranny,and is a lot stronger than when it was cut up to fit in the 350.Then I used 1/4" plate to bolt in from side to side for a trannt mount and a new place to mount the wishbones,The wishbones were split and used two tie rod ends to bolt into the plate  that chassis engineering used for mounting the 350,but that won't work now so the new bigger 1/4" plate was fabed up,and the tie rods are turned 90 degrees and bolted back on. They can not be bolted up like on the 350 as the 200 pan is in the way.
It can be done and not that big a deal.
If you have a mustang 11,it's a cake walk as you wont have the wishbones to deal with.
Good luck
Russ&Irene
I got to start taking pictues

48 super D

Thanks for the input.  I want to do the overdrive thing since im doing it for cruising.  I havent decided about using fuel injection or a carb yet.  I think injection looks cool, but carb has a "punch".  This one is a keeper, so I dont want to change my mind half way down the road and kick myself.

Crosley.In.AZ

I'll mention one item about use of the LS-1 motors with earlier non electronic shifted trannys..... you need an adapter ring for the LS-1 crank shaft to the  converter crank hub of the earlier tranny.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

48 super D