Still more auto-trans questions for Crosley

Started by av8, December 17, 2004, 09:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

av8

Tony -- How pricey and difficult is it to overhaul an automatic from a mid '80s BMW Type 3? I was given a well-maintained '85 318i sedan with a balky trans; it doesn't want to upshift automatically.

I'm going to harvest the engine (excellent condition) for a project, and other good pieces as backup for my '84 318i coupe (five-speed) which I plan to keep forever.

So, before I abandon the automatic for a five-speed for the project I thought I'd see if it's something that I could tackle with a reasonable expectation of success.

TIA for your thoughts and reccomendations.

Mike

av8

Quote from: "av8"Tony -- How pricey and difficult is it to overhaul an automatic from a mid '80s BMW Type 3? I was given a well-maintained '85 318i sedan with a balky trans; it doesn't want to upshift automatically.

I'm going to harvest the engine (excellent condition) for a project, and other good pieces as backup for my '84 318i coupe (five-speed) which I plan to keep forever.

So, before I abandon the automatic for a five-speed for the project I thought I'd see if it's something that I could tackle with a reasonable expectation of success.

TIA for your thoughts and reccomendations.

Mike

I'm taking this BTTT in hopes of a reply before it gets buried.

Mike

enjenjo

I'd help if I could Mike, But I never worked on a BMW auto trans. I believe they used a trans based on GM patents, but other than that, I don't have a clue
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

av8

Quote from: "enjenjo"I'd help if I could Mike, But I never worked on a BMW auto trans. I believe they used a trans based on GM patents, but other than that, I don't have a clue

Thanks, Frank. I believe it is GM based, not sure about interchange, however.

The car has lead an easy life and I'm hoping for something simple, like an easily correctible valve-body situation but that's rarely the case, I'm told.

If it looks like an expensive service/rebuild I'll opt for a five-speed for the project.

Crosley.In.AZ

Seems like they are a 4L30 tranny, which began life as a t-180.  Same basic tranny used in Isuzu Trooper, postal stuff.

I dont work on beemers , have to rely on a friend for informationn.

He aint returned my phone calls.

Since the name BMW is attached I would imagine a shop will charge accordingly
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

the tranny should be a ZF 4HP22 in the 85 318.  They eat parts when they go bad I am told.  They do have a governor in them like a ford design, may be a simple stuck governor?

If the gov is stuck... why is it stuck?  Broken pieces of metal floating around in the oil ?   :shock:

the 4L30 was introduced in 92 beamers
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

av8

Quote from: "Crosley"the tranny should be a ZF 4HP22 in the 85 318.  They eat parts when they go bad I am told.  They do have a governor in them like a ford design, may be a simple stuck governor?

If the gov is stuck... why is it stuck?  Broken pieces of metal floating around in the oil ?   :shock:

the 4L30 was introduced in 92 beamers

Thanks, Tony. Looks like the project will get a five-speed instead.