Mirror, Mirror, on the door ..Custom Chrome?

Started by 58Apache, December 20, 2004, 09:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58Apache

I bought some early 70's bullet style mirrors on E-bay hoping to be able to modify them to work on my Chevelle. I am not sure the angle is right or not. I figure that I can figure out some way to change the angle if I need to.

The main thing I am wondering is if these things are able to be chromed? I am guessing it's some sort of pot metal? But I guess if you can chrome plastic you can chrome anything?

If nothing else, I got them for a good price so not much would be lost. They are off a Monza, so nobody was bidding on them. Looks just like any other bullet mirror to me. Works for what I want!...I think?

Steve

58 Yeoman

Pot metal can be chromed, but sometimes the pits will pop.  If they are pitted quite a bit, it might be kinda expensive.  The door handles, parking lights and tail lights, and other trim on my wagon are pot metal, and they came out pretty good.  I told them it was for the street, and to not go crazy.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

They should fit right on, I have used them in the past. Some of these mirrors are plastic bodies with a diecast base. I hope you got the mounting brackets, they are hard to find. If you need some brackets, let me know, I have them for $100...... each....... plus shipping :lol:  :roll:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

MrMopar64

Quote from: "58Apache"I bought some early 70's bullet style mirrors on E-bay hoping to be able to modify them to work on my Chevelle. I am not sure the angle is right or not. I figure that I can figure out some way to change the angle if I need to.

The main thing I am wondering is if these things are able to be chromed? I am guessing it's some sort of pot metal? But I guess if you can chrome plastic you can chrome anything?

If nothing else, I got them for a good price so not much would be lost. They are off a Monza, so nobody was bidding on them. Looks just like any other bullet mirror to me. Works for what I want!...I think?

Steve

Yeah I had a set of chrome ones at one time........
Most of the new ones come with wedges they put under the pass side to get the right angle.......... If you  plate them you could make one out of alum then polish or plate it......

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

58Apache

Quote from: "enjenjo"They should fit right on, I have used them in the past. Some of these mirrors are plastic bodies with a diecast base. I hope you got the mounting brackets, they are hard to find. If you need some brackets, let me know, I have them for $100...... each....... plus shipping :lol:  :roll:

:-o

Hmmmmm good thing I am a friend. I am sure that's a good deal, I'll bet they are much more expensive for just anyone.

I'll let you know if I can't find them at the swap meet or make them
 :wink:

58Apache

Yeah I had a set of chrome ones at one time........
Most of the new ones come with wedges they put under the pass side to get the right angle.......... If you  plate them you could make one out of alum then polish or plate it......

MM64  8)[/quote]

I made sure to ask the seller if these were metal or "plastic", I knew I had to go early 70's to get metal ones. These look to be in excellent shape and seem to be all metal.

The mounting brackets and the angles are the only thing I am worried about. I haven't unpacked the box yet to see if the brackets are in there.

One more thing, the remote controller that mounts on the driver's door has some of the mounting missing. I'll bet I can pick it up at a swap meet? Or would any old GM hardware work? This is an early 70's Monza, same thing as a Vega?

Steve

enjenjo

Those mirrors were used on many models in the 70's so finding the hardware for the remote control should be fairly easy. Even the regular style mirrors used the same hardware. The mounting bracket on the other hand..... :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.