life love and the pursuit of shiny

Started by nzsimon, December 16, 2004, 04:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzsimon

I now have the exhausts mostly polished they still need another linish and buff to get rid of the welds and get them to a higher quality finish

The ends have been cut
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

enjenjo

What kind of tool are you using to sand your stainless? I have been using a 4" flap wheel to rough it in, and finishing with ScotchBrite discs, on a die grinder, but I seem to go through a lot of them to get the finish I want.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

nzsimon

I use one of those black and decker power files like a portable linisher they eat belts and it is slow going

I polish with a 6 inch bench grinder and stainless compound on a fabric wheel it is too small really but it teaches me patience LOL

Those scotch brite discs just don't seem to live up to the promise on stainless I bought a fancy one for the grinder it cost a fortune and wore out in minutes

I have had luck with the flap wheels that have alternative layers of scotch and sandpaper but have only found small ones
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

enjenjo

I found a 6" wheel at a swap meet, about 1" thick, that worked very good. It was grey in color, and appeared to made of some type of felt, with the abrasive mixed right into the material. It did an outstanding job on welds and castings, but it eventually wore out, and I have not been able to find a replacement :cry:

The most important thing to polishing is patience, but I don't have much of it. :lol:  That's why a lot of mine gets farmed out.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Sean

Quote from: "enjenjo"I found a 6" wheel at a swap meet, about 1" thick, that worked very good. It was grey in color, and appeared to made of some type of felt, with the abrasive mixed right into the material.

We use them at work, and call them "Blending wheels", although I don't know if that is the correct name for them. We get them in the 1"x6" size for use in a drill, and the smaller 1/2"x2" for use in Die Grinders.

If I remember, i'll ask the shop foreman where he gets them and what the actual name is. I do know that 3M makes the ones we use.

Pep

Quote from: "enjenjo"What kind of tool are you using to sand your stainless? I have been using a 4" flap wheel to rough it in, and finishing with ScotchBrite discs, on a die grinder, but I seem to go through a lot of them to get the finish I want.

That's similar to what I've been experimenting with Frank. I have now used a speed controller on the 4"angle grinder with Scotch Bright pads cut and tied to the flap disk. Its a bit more controllable.  I then use some metal polish with a felt pad in the same manner to get it real shiny....And yeah Simon...it's coming along nicely...good job.
See Ya
Pep