Mustang Crossmember

Started by enjenjo, December 09, 2004, 10:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Being the cheap SOB I am, I decided to build my own crossmember for my 48 Chevy. I have built them before, I even have a welding jig. Don't really need it yet, but I am installing one in a customer car, and it's handy for measurements. I have been keeping track of the time I put into it, and even using my Ironworker, and a Mill, I also used a couple time saving shortcuts. I still have 14 hours in it! And I still have a couple hours work to have it done. No wonder I buy them! My customers couldn't afford to have me build them! It is nice to be able to answer "my own", when asked who's crossmember I used.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "enjenjo"It is nice to be able to answer "my own", when asked who's crossmember I used.

=================================

A few years ago, I was studying an independent front suspension on a rod, when the owner returned to his car.

When I asked him who's front-end it was, he replied, "Mine!" :oops:  

So, I asked who BUILT the front-end, and he said, "Heidt's," which confirmed my own thoughts.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Dirk35

I really think dealing with Larry T was one of the most professional and helpful dealings Ive had on my 35. Wonder how he was making money on his. It is a GREAT Product!

Dirk35

I really think dealing with Larry T was one of the most professional and helpful dealings Ive had on my 35. Wonder how he was making money on his. It is a GREAT Product!

Id like to see yours Frank!

GPster

I can remember you mentioning what your shop rate was so I can understand how it might be a little pricey for your customers. I can understand the feeling of accomplishment if you did one for yourself though. Now that you're gaining international recognition with magazine articles and pictures you'd better watch it now. Next thing you'll be on television and wearing flowered shirts (maybe Rob can get you a deal) and charging $150.00 an hour. You'll be the "SwantaBoyd". GPster

enjenjo

Quote from: "Dirk35"I really think dealing with Larry T was one of the most professional and helpful dealings Ive had on my 35. Wonder how he was making money on his. It is a GREAT Product!

I know how he was doing it, I'm not at liberty to say, there was nothing dishonest, let's just say he had a subsidy. There was also the exchange rate from Canada to here. I did use a couple of his time saving tricks on mine, adapting production parts, as part of the crossmember.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

2rods

I built my own because there was nothing available that I could trust that would fit my application. It was many hours but I am proud of it and it worked out way better than I expected.

MYRIDE

Quote from: "Dirk35"I really think dealing with Larry T was one of the most professional and helpful dealings Ive had on my 35. Wonder how he was making money on his. It is a GREAT Product!

Id like to see yours Frank!

Used larry T's for my '38. Unfortunately he isn't in the business anymore. I approached him awhile back and he let me know he wasn't making crossmembers anymore. If you know differently please let me know. My son's '40 Chev will be in need of one and can't beat larry's price/quality wise.
"T*ts or Tires....both will cause you problems"   -Mainstreet Cruisers-
                     http://members.shaw.ca/mainstreetcruisers/