Ignition again....

Started by Sean, December 08, 2004, 08:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

Yesterday, I took my truck into town for a while because it had been setting for a couple weeks. Wasn't running too good, acted like the timing had been retarded. I advanced the timing as far as I could(hit the manifold) and it ran fine after that.

Today, my wife was going to run to the store in it. She got it started and let it run for about ten minutes to warm up, then when she took off, she got about halfway up the hill in front of our house and it just died. She said there was no sputtering or backfiring, just flat out died like the key was turned off. She couldn't get it to start, so she left it on the side of the street for me. I'm just glad she didn't get into traffic with it.

My brother pulled me back into my driveway and we messed with it a while but never got it to start. It has fire, but acts like the timing is 180 out. Backfires through the exhaust like a shotgun, and occasionally flames back through the carb. No backfire through the carb, just flames.

So whats it sound like to you all? First thing I thought of was the roll pin on the drive gear, but I installed a new one when I put this Motor in because I had to change the drive gear on my distributor for the Roller Cam. The ignition is HEI with a Pertronix Flamethrower Kit in it.

rooster

Timing or maybe a crossfire because of a crack in the dizzy cap, crossfire in the wires, carbon trails in the cap causing the same. Timing chain stretched! Pop the hood at night a take a look at it with the lights out!

BELLM

Timing chain could have jumped a tooth, you reset dizzy ran fine.  Could have jumped several teeth died now distributor firing on a open intake valve?  
I'm sorry I am new here so dont know what kind of engine you have.  If it has some miles on it, has a chain & sprockets instead of gears, might be a possibility from your description of the sequence of events could have jumped timing.

Sean

Quote from: "BELLM"
I'm sorry I am new here so dont know what kind of engine you have.  

New style 350 with roller cam, basically a ZZ4, except with different heads. The timing chain and gear set were brand new(Cloyes) about a year ago. For that matter all the parts are new except for the distributor, thats why it was the first thing that came to mind. The motor was used in Dirt track car for about three races, but I don't think it was hurt. We changed the timing set right before we stuck it in my truck just in case.

I have read of several people complaining about Pertronix, so I was wondering if something in that Flamethrower kit could go bad and cause these symptoms, or if it is more likely to be something mechanical.

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "Sean"
Quote from: "BELLM"
I'm sorry I am new here so dont know what kind of engine you have.  

Snip . . .
I have read of several people complaining about Pertronix, so I was wondering if something in that Flamethrower kit could go bad and cause these symptoms, or if it is more likely to be something mechanical.

I'd drop another dizzie yopu know works  in there and see if it goes OK.

slocrow

Quote from: "pope"I'd drop another dizzie you know works in there and see if it goes OK.

Ditto..............
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

enjenjo

If you have a ballast resistor in the circuit, and it's good, bypass it and try starting it again, if it starts, it the ignition. I've had Pertronix fail like that before.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Sean

Quote from: "enjenjo"If you have a ballast resistor in the circuit, and it's good, bypass it and try starting it again, if it starts, it the ignition. I've had Pertronix fail like that before.

Would a ballast resistor be the little "Can" looking thing? If it is, The Pertronix kit came with a little ceramic thing that replaced it. I guess i could pull it off and put the old one back in.

This Distributor is loose and worn out anyway, so I probably should buy a new one. Are the HEI's that Summit and Jegs sell basically stock units? Or are they putting Pertronix stuff inside them? I notice they say something about hotter coils and higher rpm, but it doesn't really say whether the components are GM or not.

Dave

Quote from: "Sean"
Quote from: "enjenjo"If you have a ballast resistor in the circuit, and it's good, bypass it and try starting it again, if it starts, it the ignition. I've had Pertronix fail like that before.

Would a ballast resistor be the little "Can" looking thing? If it is, The Pertronix kit came with a little ceramic thing that replaced it. I guess i could pull it off and put the old one back in.

This Distributor is loose and worn out anyway, so I probably should buy a new one. Are the HEI's that Summit and Jegs sell basically stock units? Or are they putting Pertronix stuff inside them? I notice they say something about hotter coils and higher rpm, but it doesn't really say whether the components are GM or not.
I believe those are stock type units. If you have room id go with a replacement hei and be done with it. The only reason I dont have one in my 32 is cause the wires hit the firewall pretty bad and i didnt wanna muck up the paint. If id have thought further ahead id recessed the firewall and made it better so i could use a stock type hei.
Dave

rooster

If you are looking for space to get a dizzy in and out for any reason or firewall clearance. If you want true HEI using GM parts that can be bought anywhere if needed! You might take a look at this: http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

I have one! No more worrying of what you would do if the module go's out in Flagstaff, or rubbing of the firewall. Does not require any Ballist resister! Im happy!

Sean

Thanks, that might be worth looking into since I am not sure whether I can get the Distributor out without pulling the motor forward.  I think I may be able to unbolt the tranny mount and jack the tailshaft up against the floorpan to tilt it enough, but haven't tried it yet. Looks like i'm not going to be able to put it off any longer...