Ford Steering colume, plugs & Swt's

Started by rooster, December 01, 2004, 09:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

I have a 88 f150 , the key stw keeps braking internal levers! Im wanting to bypass the ford design and just place a garden varity key stw in the dash. There are 8 wires in the harness that connect to the ign stw, 3 of them are 12 G.

I bought a universal stw a parts america, but I dont know if its big enough to handle the load! Whats big enough?

I would like to not to butcher up the orignal harness to splice into the new stw. Im looking for a source who supples PLUGS, and make a new short harness to go to the new stw.

I went to get a emmisions test the other day and thay would not test the car, thay didnt like the fact that the car had to be started with a pair of vice grips.

58 Yeoman

Didn't you tell them that the vice grips were low emission?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Dave

Quote from: "rooster"I have a 88 f150 , the key stw keeps braking internal levers! Im wanting to bypass the ford design and just place a garden varity key stw in the dash. There are 8 wires in the harness that connect to the ign stw, 3 of them are 12 G.

I bought a universal stw a parts america, but I dont know if its big enough to handle the load! Whats big enough?

I would like to not to butcher up the orignal harness to splice into the new stw. Im looking for a source who supples PLUGS, and make a new short harness to go to the new stw.

I went to get a emmisions test the other day and thay would not test the car, thay didnt like the fact that the car had to be started with a pair of vice grips.

That has nothing to do with emmisions and id have made em test the thing
Id call the main office and * if it was a safety check well then maybe but  they have no right to not give you the test cause you started it with vise grips. I sure hope you didnt let em off easy LOL
Dave

rooster

This is the wire harness I made. The black pulg is from a wire harness from a 88 ford pickup I got at the junk yard, also got the right guage and color coded wires while I was there. I used Painless wireing instructions to define the color codes and there purpose's! I installed it all and it works just fine. If I did it again I wound make the harness about a foot long. I used spade connectors sodered, then stabed into the orignal factory plug, they are tight!

Went and got the emmisions test. The same girl waited on me as the other day. I think she reconized me but didnt say anything! But she did ask me "do you have any service engine soon lights coming on". Anyway it passed and im good for another 2 years!

Dave

Quote from: "rooster"This is the wire harness I made. The black pulg is from a wire harness from a 88 ford pickup I got at the junk yard, also got the right guage and color coded wires while I was there. I used Painless wireing instructions to define the color codes and there purpose's! I installed it all and it works just fine. If I did it again I wound make the harness about a foot long. I used spade connectors sodered, then stabed into the orignal factory plug, they are tight!

Went and got the emmisions test. The same girl waited on me as the other day. I think she reconized me but didnt say anything! But she did ask me "do you have any service engine soon lights coming on". Anyway it passed and im good for another 2 years!

I knew you could do it... Redneck enginering at its finest :lol:
Dave