Lets talk alternator wiring.

Started by Dirk35, November 22, 2004, 10:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk35

IS there a site I can view some wiring diagrams (think simple ones, not complex hard to read) for an alternator?

I had a ford Alternator on my 35 for mock-up. Went to Napa and asked for a Chevy internal regulator altarnator. Get it home, and realize in the instructions that it si a Ford internal regulator Alternator.

The instructions that came with it only say: 1: unhook the battery pos, 2: unhook the battery ground, 3: to unhook the wires, remember which wire goes where, 4: unbolt the alternator, 5:Bolt the new alternator in it place, 6:then plug the same wires back into the same place you un-hooked them. That is almost verbatum of the instructions.

I have a Haywire kit. It covers the old ford Alternator, and the old Chevy alternators, and the new chevy alternators, and a couple of Mopar ones.

The alternator, has what appears to be a ground post, a red post, and a plug with two wires (one 14ga red, one 14 ga white).

Best I can tell, Transluating the chevy stuff:

1: I need to wire the ground to the frame (no brainer) as its ground to the block already.

2: the red post is the main pos output

3: the red wire on the little plug, is that the Alternator exciter?

4: The white wire, does this go to the TACH?

awsum34

The only dumb question is the one you don\'t ask

rooster

I would think you should go by the instructions that came with haywire kit, only this time Chevy diagram. Not the instructions that came with alt. I got instructions but not for haywire.

Dave

Quote from: "Dirk35"IS there a site I can view some wiring diagrams (think simple ones, not complex hard to read) for an alternator?

I had a ford Alternator on my 35 for mock-up. Went to Napa and asked for a Chevy internal regulator altarnator. Get it home, and realize in the instructions that it si a Ford internal regulator Alternator.

The instructions that came with it only say: 1: unhook the battery pos, 2: unhook the battery ground, 3: to unhook the wires, remember which wire goes where, 4: unbolt the alternator, 5:Bolt the new alternator in it place, 6:then plug the same wires back into the same place you un-hooked them. That is almost verbatum of the instructions.

I have a Haywire kit. It covers the old ford Alternator, and the old Chevy alternators, and the new chevy alternators, and a couple of Mopar ones.

The alternator, has what appears to be a ground post, a red post, and a plug with two wires (one 14ga red, one 14 ga white).

Best I can tell, Transluating the chevy stuff:

1: I need to wire the ground to the frame (no brainer) as its ground to the block already.

2: the red post is the main pos output

3: the red wire on the little plug, is that the Alternator exciter?

Take the red wire from the plug and put it where the battery lead goes on the back of the alt...then the white wire needs to go to the ignition switch that is the field terminal which when energized make the alt charge.
Dave

4: The white wire, does this go to the TACH?

34ford

I'd call up Haywire. I have one of there 21 fuse panels and have called them a couple of time and are great help. Think Ken is the owner who I talk to. I don't think a wire for the tach would come off of the alternator. Probably for the dash guage.

bob

Dirk35

Don, and other, please confirm..........

Ok, best I have it figured since much searching the web:

Its a internal regulated AC Delco alternator. Looking at it from the rear, with the pulley away from you, with the spade terminals on the top. The left spade is white wire, the right spade is a red wire, both 14ga.

1. Large red post for wire to the Starter, and the battery pos cable will go from the battery to this same bolt.

2. the ground is NOT needed on this cause its grounded to the block

3. The white wire goes to the dash volt gauge.

4. The red wire, some jump this straight to the out-put post on back of alternator. But it should be hooked to the alternator excitor wire, which should be a switched on from the ignition source.

Is this right?????????????????????

Don, you said the white wire is where the excitor hooks in?

Dave

Quote from: "Dirk35"Don, and other, please confirm..........

Its a internal regulated AC Delco alternator. Looking at it from the rear, with the pulley away from you, with the spade terminals on the top. The left spade is white wire, the right spade is a red wire, both 14ga.

1. Large red post for wire to the Starter, and the battery pos cable will go from the battery to this same bolt.

4. The red wire, some jump this straight to the out-put post on back of alternator. But it should be hooked to the alternator excitor wire, which should be a switched on from the ignition source.

If its a gm internal regulator id put the red wire to the post on the back and the white wire to the ignition  terminal which energizes the alt and makes it charge when the engine is running. You should run at least a 10 gauge wire from the post on the back of the alt to the starter battery terminal. The volt gauge should already be wired into the circuit  already and should show that the alt is putting out at least 14 volts when its charging... Ive got a couple different schematics for gm charging circuits that i could scan and email to you if your still not sure about it..
Dave
Some plugs are red and white and ive seen some with red and brown ..

Dave

Quote from: "Dirk35"Don, and other, please confirm..........

I just went to the garage as i had the plug for my alt laying on the bench. Ive got a one wire alt so i had the plug left over but i can wire mine either way. the wires are printed alt battery with a ring terminal already installed to go to the back of the alternator. the other wire says alt exciter which is exactly that it excites the alt when the ignition switch is in the run position and makes it charge.. Hope that helps.
Dave

Dirk35

Sorry Dave, been callling you Don. Never can keep the screen names straight.

Dave

Quote from: "Dirk35"Sorry Dave, been callling you Don. Never can keep the screen names straight.

well since ive got a twin brother named don im used to it
:lol: