Powerstroke 7.3

Started by enjenjo, November 17, 2004, 07:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I'm looking at a used truck, 96 with a 7.3 Powerstroke Turbo engine in it. Anyone with an idea how many miles these generally go between rebuilds? The truck is in excellent condition, just shows a lot of miles on the odometer, 248,000
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

ONE37TUDOR

I have been told to expect about 250,000 between major rebuilds on my 95 Powerstroke. Was also told the injectors were only good to about 85,000 and the pump about the same.
If it is an automatic overdrive I would worry more about that than the motor? 95 & 96 both had problems with excessive case pressures but I am sure with that mileage it has beem upgraded?
Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT

Crosley.In.AZ

the rumble I have heard is 250 - 300 k miles on  the engine.  

We have a 98 xtra-cab with 200k on it at work...... 3rd E4OD tranny.  

A co-worker has a 95 dually with 175k.... the 95 just ate a $600.00 electrical wire harness for the glow plugs and some thing else ( CRS here).. on it's 2nd tranny.  Leaky rear main seal on the engine

The tranny in the 98 truck is working waay better with a custom electronic solenoid package on the tranny and it works real well.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

48ford

Frank,
I have a 94 with 100,000+ that i pull our car trailer,boat,ex camper,and i have never had a problem except glow plugs& glow plug controler(?).
never had a tranny problem,but it sure could use a gear splitter when we are loaded to the hilt.but mine is just a two wheel drive.
if you get a two wheel drive,trust me you ain't driving this puppy in the snow,just trust me on this one.
Russ&Irene

enjenjo

I passed on the truck today, took it for a test drive, and there was a bad clunking sound when it shifted to OD. That combined with brake problems was just more than I wanted to deal with. It was tempting though, $3,500 asking price. But I could see another $3,000 in repairs. Oh well, there will be another one. :roll:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.