65 T-bird brakes

Started by GaryR, November 25, 2004, 10:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryR

Hi all.  My 65 T-bird (disk front, drum rear, single res. MC) has recently developed a brake problem.  They work fine, but after lifting my foot from the pedal, they don't release completely.  If I pull the pedal up with my foot, they release.  It exhibited itself halfway through a 300 mile trip to MD (new home) from SW VA (old home).

I'm thinking that it might be 1 or more weak or broken return springs on the rear shoes (that or a combination of rust and old age).  Does anyone have any other suggestons as to what I might check?  Thanks in advance.

Gary
Some day, maybe I\'ll think of something witty, \'til then, this is the best I could do!

enjenjo

I would first check the pedal pivot and pushrod pivot to see that the sticking isn't there. Boosters can go bad, disconnect and plug the vacuum to the booster, test drive it, the pedal will be hard to push, but if it doesn't stick, the booster might be bad.

If after these checks, you still haven't found the problem, set the car on stands, apply the brakes, and release them, but don't pull up on the pedal. see which wheel is dragging. If all four are dragging, the master cylinder may be the problem. If only one wheel, it may be a bad wheel cylinder/caliper, or a defective rubber hose to that wheel.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GaryR

Thanks enjenjo!  I hope to be able to do the troubleshooting tomorrow, if the weather cooperates.

Gary
Some day, maybe I\'ll think of something witty, \'til then, this is the best I could do!