Hello!!!!!!!!! Private Messageing Help

Started by rooster, November 20, 2004, 08:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

I keep getting E-mail saying a private message has arrived. After I log in to get it, theres nothing there. Anyone else having problems? I am expecting a few!

GPster

I'm having a problem sending a message to you. It was in my out box for a while and then a couple of hours later it finally moved to the sent box and now it's vanished altogether. When I started to have problems I had my wife create a file to save it because it took so long to type.  Here it is:

No, I haven't done the swap. I had (have) a '53 that I junked the body and am using the frame and engine under a '51 Chevrolet truck cab. To top it all off I'm using the stock powertrain because it runs, it has an automatic transmission and it was already paid for. My main knowledge about the firewall ribs is because of the way I dismantled the car to save the center hump of the firewall for proper placement of the truck cab around all the car controls. Chevys up til '52 mounted the engine in the very front on ears of the timing gear cover. In '53 they started using side mounts on the 6s. The mount kits that say '49 - '54 mount the engine in the old "Hurst" style off the front and they just ignore the '53 and '54 mount provisions. The front style mounts fasten to the crossmember and they were OK in the dates of 4 speeds and cast-iron bellhousings but they create too much breaking force on automatic transmission alumnium cases. If he would ever want to change over to a front crossmember conversion he would lose his mounts and need to do them over again to the conversion crossmember. That brings around another idea. He might check around with people that make Mustang II crossmember conversions an see if one of them makes engine-to-frame mounts and maybe they be able to just supply the mounts to him. There are a lot of reasons that I suggested a change-over front suspension on the board. The biggestest problem with any V8 swap in these cars is not the ribs in the firewall. They suppose that that is the easiest way to get away from the problem causers. The stock steering box is an oddball in that the pittman arm operates a drag-link that is inside the frame rails All of this inside parrifinalia gets right in the way of the V8 exhaust manifolds. To add something else to this the steering box and drag-link arrangement works a bellcrank with 2 long tie rods and the easiest way to stay away from that with the oilpan sump is let the engine be further back. Add to this there are no power steering boxes that will fit this arrangement and the stock box and column are one piece so and changes in steering wheel, horn switches, directional signal switches or shifter is going to have to contend with"old style" fixes. With the old style suspension he is also going to be looking at some one-off pieces. Ever time he gets around a problem the major cause will still be there. Not meaning to blow a hole in his bubble but he may want to read Purple pick-up's post  and have a little fun with the car while he's planning and gathering parts. some of the preliminaries can be done and still have a running car. Change over to 12 volt electrics, install some kind of firewall mounted master cylinder and brake pedal (he'll have to leave the original master cylinder in place for clutch pedal mounting but the brake can work from the new master cylinder), install a different emergency brake actuator etc. I'm flattered that someone thinks I know something. I have ideas for answers to certain problems if he would like to ask me about. Joe GPster Veraldo

rooster

I got your message a few hours ago, about a hour ago I got 4 message have arrived  but nothig there. Not sure but I think a message stays in your box until its picked up! COULD YOUR MAILBOX BE POSSIBLY FULL?

My son left about a hour ago to Dans house! A teenage meeting of the minds for there assult on the 50 chevy. Im sure sometime in the next few hours the car will be mocked up with flames, chopped top, sparkshooter, and flamethrowers,and possibly a Hemi!!!    Do you have a picture of a 49-54 Car frame?

river1

i'm trying to remember what i type in the PM that dissappeared after i sent it

my pinion angle is not where i can check it yet as the engine is not install yet.
the firewall ribs i trimed just enough to install the SBC i may (for sure)need to trim them more when i install the caddy 500. you may be able to see how much i trimed them in the pic below.

here is a pic of a 53 chevy front frame rails
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

river1

nope can't see the ribs in that shot let me some more.
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

GPster

Quote from: "rooster"Do you have a picture of a 49-54 Car frame?
My frame would show you more than Rivers but it would not show you right.  The stock engine is still in mine but the front crossmember has been slid foreward 11" and a longer draglink made so nothing is in proper perspective. The only digital carera that I have access to is at my wife's work and she has taken the week off so a picture wouldn't come soon. WZ Junk is building one for his wife so maybe he has some pictures of his start. Also Faat Rod built the one he has. Maybe he has some pictures of the start. Can't think of any other possibilities but there might be some. Might try askiing that question by itself. The longer one particular topic becomes the harder it becomes to see a particular question that surfaces in the middle of the topic. Let me know what you want to see if there are no other volanteers. GPster

rooster

Thanks for all the pictures and info! I would think Rivers exhaust will be a task. After looking around a bit for Dans 50 install , there seems to be alot of guys installing futher back and lower  to get exhuaust to fit. Havent seen anything moved to the right 1" yet.  What we want is the best combination ideas that simplify the install with these things in mind. The ability to remove a HEI dist after install, mimium rib& firewall loss, and still have room far a stock exhaust. And keep the heater.
We have found that Walton makes a mount and the mounting location is predetermined by existing drilled holes in all stock 49-54 frames. If we get this right it applys to all sbc installs. It appears that the 49-54 Chevys useing Mustang II Sup are all ready in the clear. We are looking for information using a stock steering. I think I have located the right ram horn that Frank sugested, for going throught front (pict). Waltons mount setup. (pict), the longer one for going toward the back (pict)

GPster

The one exhaust manifold that I remember Frank talking about is the '55 manifold. I remember hearing a lot of people using it, It is a regular log type manifold and it exits straight down between the first and second exhaudt port on the driver's side. Like I said, a lot of the problem is because of the steering box that sits on top of the frame and has the pittman arm going down on the inside of the frame. GPster

rooster

Quote from: "GPster"The one exhaust manifold that I remember Frank talking about is the '55 manifold. I remember hearing a lot of people using it, It is a regular log type manifold and it exits straight down between the first and second exhaudt port on the driver's side. Like I said, a lot of the problem is because of the steering box that sits on top of the frame and has the pittman arm going down on the inside of the frame. GPster
Ive had alot of feelers out all weekend starting to get results, this under the plug manafold is sopost to fit period. no altering at all! will see!

GPster

The only thing I could imagine would be in the way there would be the emergency brake mechanism. If it's anything like my '53 it's a rod that goes from the bottom of the dash down through the firewall to the right of the steering column. It's got a bellcrank and a rod going back to the frame near the transmission tailshaft. Because his is a standard transmission the rest should be pretty clear. Have him make sure that when he has an exhaust pipe made it  will clear the pittman arm on a  hard left turn. There certainly is a better selection of parts to use now than there was in the '60s. GPster