Heater Core Question

Started by rooster, November 14, 2004, 10:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

1. Does hot water continue to circulate through heater core even when using AC in summer? 2. Is there a inlet and outlet to a heater core, does it make a difference what hose goes where?

enjenjo

There is usually a heater control valve that shuts off the flow of water when heat isn't needed. Older cars have a mechanical control, usually a cable to operate the valve. Most newer ones are controlled by vacuum.

Heater core will work with the flow in either direction, but generally the water flows from the bottom to the top. In at the bottom, out at the top.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rooster

Thanks for the info! Was not sure. I know on big trucks we had to tilt the hood and reach in and turn a valve off in the summer, to keep the extra heat out of the cab.

kb426

I just installed the bi-level unit from vintage air. It has a selinoid valve that opens when the unit is turned on.
TEAM SMART

rooster

I cant find any way it witch the water would be turned off by using the controls on the Buick. The heater core just sticks through the fire wall and the 2 hoses connect. A trap door inside the heater box may confine this core heat and vent it out somehow. In the 37 its strictly dress for the occasion including rain!

58 Yeoman

You could get one of the shutoff valves that Ford used in the late 60's; went inline and was controlled by a cable attached to a lever on the heater control.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil