Vette front clip opinions wanted, please

Started by 48builder, November 05, 2004, 03:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

OK. I may be nuts, but I'm looking for input.

I have an '87 Grand Prix clip welded to the fron of my '48 Chevy. I got it for nothing, and at the time it seemed like the right thing to do. It may still be. I have run into a couple small problems because of the clip. First, I had to notch the clip's crossmember because of the A/C compressor on the Z28 LT1 engine. Then I can't use the Camaro radiator because of the width of the clips front rails. Neither problem is insurmountable. I have a piece made to fix the notch in the crossmember, and I'll just find or buy a radiator that will work. I'd prefer to use the Z's, since I have it already and it has two great cooling fans.

So here's my question. I am doing the complete interior for the son of a friend. This friend runs a salvage yard, and he has a '85 Vette sitting there. I'm wondering if it would be worth my trouble to take the GP clip off and put the Vette clip on. I don't even know if you can do that with a vette, but let's assume you can. I'm sure I can get the Vette clip in trade for the work on the kid's interior. A couple hours work and the swap could be done.

The Vette clip would be better because of the coolness factor, but I don't know if it would solve either problem. I know the mid 90's Vettes had a different arragement for the A/C compressor, and I'm assuming it is because it wouldn't fit down by the crossmember. I'm no Vette expert, but are the mid 80's the same platfofrm as the mid 90's? Ideally I would either be able to use the Z28's radiator or the Vette's.

I guess I'll go there tonight and take a look at the Vette and see what I think, but I wanted to get the opinions of you experts.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

GPster

Just a quick idea. Progressive Automotive in Baltimore, Ohio Has been doing chassis with Vette stuff lately. An '80s vette may be older than what they use but they've been around ( they used Pinto stuff when it was new) might check with them. GPster

slocrow

The AC compressor on my 91 is up top on the passanger side......
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Bib_Overalls

Here is a link http://www.progressiveautomotive.com/sweetbracketry.htm to the Progressive Automotive site.

I don't think the Corvette frame "clip" is an easy graft to your existing chassis.  And the fact that you have already grafted on clip on already makes the project more difficult (because you may have to replace or replicate rail sections that you have already cut off).  In any case, the answer to your question is in the tape measure.

The problems you are describing are typical of "clip" front suspension conversions.  It takes a lot of fabricating skills to get the clip grafted right and the radiator, sheet metal, and bumpers to fit like factory when you are done.  

Although it costs more up front I think Mustang II, GM, or Dodge Dakota front suspension crossmember kits are the way to go.  They come with a lot of craftsmanship built in.  

Around here an 85 Corvette front or rear suspension in servicable condition goes for $500 to $750.  But that is only the price of admision.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

47-forvette

I have a 47 Ford Coupe in which I put a C-4 (88-94) Corvette front and rear suspension.  For the front, we took the original front suspenions cradle, removed the leaf spring and trimmed it down to a more manageable size and spliced it into the existing frame rails.  We work hard to retain all the original width and geometery and its ride and handling is awesome, but it limited wheel options. I think I can only post a picture at a time so I make a couple of posts.

Picture 1

\\\\\\\"Zen @ 102 MPH\\\\\\\"

47-forvette

47-forvette

48builder

I checked out Progressive, and I think I would go that way if I had it to do over. Trouble is, with their kits I need to have the orginal fram in place, so I think I will just stick with what I already have. it's done, I think it was done right, and it will work.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

moondisc

For cryin out loud Walt, just finish the dam thing!
If you go changing clips now, you'll be a grand dad before you drive it!  :lol:

purplepickup

Walt there is a solution to the AC compressor fit problem.  
You can use a cast aluminum bracket off a '90s Corvette LT1.  
It relocates the AC pump up on top, next to the alternator.  
You'd have to get a Vette AC pump somewhere, a vette idler,
a vette crank hub (or spacer), and tweak the power steering lines
a bit since they interfere a little with the bracket, but easy to fix.  
The part number for the bracket is 12550052 and most Chevy
dealers have it.  I just checked Scoggin *'s  site and the bracket
sells for $70.46 there.
George

stoggie

I gotta jump in here I am new here but play on the HAMB. :shock:

We just did my dad 52 Chevy Sedan Delivery with all late model corvette suspension.  While it sounded cool, looks neat and has great brakes.  It was miserable to use the whole cradle.  We ended up putting the whole thing into the stock frame width but had to Z the frame to get it low enough(front and rear).   It was a ton of work and looking back I do not think we would do it again.  
We used March brackets to get the accessories up.  They are much cheaper than Street and Performance or Billet Specialties(which I sell).  These are very open brackets and not as bulky looking as the stock stuff however....
Use the vette bracket.  This is a good economical fix.  We just used one on a buddy's 'baker.
There is also a bracket that was on "non-smog" LT1 motors.  I can not find the part number right now but know when Miles Cook was with Car Craft they listed that part number.  I beleive it moves the stock compressor up slightly.

Hope it helps.
Troy