ARP Head Bolts

Started by midnight sun, November 08, 2004, 07:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midnight sun

Whilst rebuilding my 327 I of course had to reinstall the heads.  I opted to use the ARP Headbolts that I used originally.  Keep in mind that there is/was less than 500 miles on the motor.  I started at 20 lbs, then 40, then 60 on my way to 65.  At 60 about the 5th bolt didnt feel right.  Guess I should have stopped.  Ya know when you get that feeling but unfortunately you go ahead anyway.......SNAP.  I decided to go ahead and do the other head and on the 4th bolt. de ja vue all over again....SNAP.  Both bolts had that crystalized look to them where they had broken.  Needless to say I trashed the ARP head bolts and replaced them with stock ones (FelPro)which I had no trouble with.  

Anybody else had problems with ARP headbolts?

Also, the FelPro bolts didnt have any washers with them and I didnt take the ones off of the ARP bolts.  Just used naked bolts with no washers.  Is that a bad idea??

TIA

Later
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

enjenjo

How sure are you of your torque wrench? It sounds like they were over torqued.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

SKR8PN

I was thinkin' the SAME thing,Frank.
OR........
did you have any lube on the threads?
Did you check to make certain the hole was clean?
I have never heard of a bad ARP fastener............Never.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

midnight sun

Quote from: "SKR8PN"I was thinkin' the SAME thing,Frank.
OR........
did you have any lube on the threads?
Did you check to make certain the hole was clean?
I have never heard of a bad ARP fastener............Never.

Threads were lubed and I chased all of the holes with a tap.  When I put in the new bolts I did use a different torque wrench cuz I thought the same thing you guys did...overtorqued.  Im not sure why the first 4 torqued down with no problem though.

Crosley.In.AZ

I've used plenty of ARP stuff. Never had any trouble.

It would nice to figure out what happened.  Mayb send a bolt back to ARP.... if they care
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

midnight sun

Quote from: "Crosley"I've used plenty of ARP stuff. Never had any trouble.

It would nice to figure out what happened.  Mayb send a bolt back to ARP.... if they care

Not a bad idea tony.  Maybe Ill ship them one just for kicks.

Bib_Overalls

I had a little problem (not quality) with an ARP product and called their hot line 1-800-825-3045) and I was very pleased with their response.  http://www.arp-bolts.com/pages/contact.html
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Roadstar

How many times had they previously been used?

ARP bolt are designed to streach, and thats what gives them the holding power. So using them more the the recomended amount of times.Witch is no more the 2 or 3 times if I recall they  will be weak and break.

SKR8PN

Rudy, I don't think ARP head bolts are the "torque to yield" style like the stuff in the new cars..................
I know you HAVE to replace head bolts on certain newer engines,but I was always under the impression,ARP stuff,unless application specific,were to be torqued to ENGINE specs.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Roadstar

http://www.arp-bolts.com/pages/tech/tech.html

Lots of good info here.

But unfortunatly doesn't tell why your head bolt broke :D

tomslik

Quote from: "SKR8PN"Rudy, I don't think ARP head bolts are the "torque to yield" style like the stuff in the new cars..................
I know you HAVE to replace head bolts on certain newer engines,but I was always under the impression,ARP stuff,unless application specific,were to be torqued to ENGINE specs.

skr8pn, ALL bolts are designed to stretch,that's what keeps 'em tight.
it's just how much that's the question.
TTY bolts should NEVER be reused,though.
i doubt ARP's are TTY's and shouldn't have broke.
maybe we should call midnight "midnight mongo";)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Anonymous

Didn't your engine burn up?  Is it possible some bolts got too much heat?