Foamy powerstearing fluid

Started by Roadstar, November 04, 2004, 09:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I thought I might be wrong on the pump pumping in either direction, so I went out and got one and experimented a bit. Lets just say I wasn't correct :lol:  In theory it should pump either way, and it does to some extent, but it pumps real poorly backwards. Looking at a breakdown, the location of the ports in the pump body is the reason

So then I went through the belt routing book I have, and I could not find one that rotated backwards. So in either case rotation is probably not the problem.

So now I'm wondering how I mounted a pump backwards and got it to work  :shock:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Leon

Last time I had to replace the pump on my motorhome it squealed everytime I touched the steering or used the brakes (it had hydroboost).  Since I had to leave for Pleasanton if I wanted to make it to the Goodguys show I drove it that way.  7 hours later when I got there I noticed that it wasn't making noise anymore.  Guess it just took a while to bleed the air out

SKR8PN

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteI believe it DOES matter which way the pump rotates........
That's why they have a "pressure" line,and a "return" line,with two different size fittings

I agree that there is a designated pressure and return line. But I am sure GM pumps will still work when rotated backwards to normal, I have done it using a GM pump to run a snow plow. I'll check into this further.

Frank did the OLD GM style pumps use a "gear-rotor" design? Before they began using the vane style they use now? If so,you could have had one of those,and had it work in reverse rotation.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Roadstar

Update: The next morning I started the car and the stearing was working fine. The air had workied it's way out of the fluid from the night before and it felt fine.

I took the car to my shop from my house to charge the A/C and on the way it started to groan once again. It wasn't really bad but noticable.

One the car sat for awhile the air seemed to settel out and again it would be fine for awhile and then seem to act up just slightly.  looked in the resovior and could see the fluid returning and at looked kinda dark but not foaming.

There are no visable leaks so I'm thinking sucking air from a line or a fitting is not the problem.

One  other thing I was wondering is about the color of the fluid. The fluid I have been buying is clear. I know there is red too, but was thinking that was actually the same as  ATF? Is there a differance?

I will keep road testing it for awhile this week and see how things shake out.

The A/C works fine :roll:

enjenjo

Quote from: "SKR8PN"
Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteI believe it DOES matter which way the pump rotates........
That's why they have a "pressure" line,and a "return" line,with two different size fittings

I agree that there is a designated pressure and return line. But I am sure GM pumps will still work when rotated backwards to normal, I have done it using a GM pump to run a snow plow. I'll check into this further.

Frank did the OLD GM style pumps use a "gear-rotor" design? Before they began using the vane style they use now? If so,you could have had one of those,and had it work in reverse rotation.

Possible, It may have been a pump from a big truck too now that I think about it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Mikej

Quote from: "40"Mike,my steering chirps a bit as I move the wheel from lock to lock...I agree it should squeal when it hits the stops but untill I made the changes,it didn't chirp in between...only when it reached the end of travel.

Daryle, does it squeal at idle only? idling to slow, belt loose, binding in the steering linkage, bad relief valve in the pump , steering gear adjustment.