purplepickup & HOTROD magazine & The Stude at Bonnev

Started by sodbuster, November 05, 2004, 10:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sodbuster

Check out the new HOTROD, purplepickup's has a pretty good space about the $150 Stude that "Hooley" ran at Bonneville and the pix in the magazine is the one that I think that I took right after the run.

Chris Nelson
Kansas

purplepickup

I saw your post on the HAMB and was wondering if my truck might have been in the background of a pic in the pits or something.  You sounded pretty excited about getting your first picture published.  Congratulations.  The beginning of Sodbuster & Wife's Mobile Photography Inc maybe? :lol:

I don't subscribe to Hot Rod anymore but I might have to get that issue to keep as a souvenir and reminder of what a great time I had being one of Hooley's helpers.
George

GPster

That was Sumner's writting. I get confussed bt the handles sometime so I understand the mistake. The chaplin was there but Sumner was there from nearly the start (loosing a transmission out of yor car is one hell of an excuse). He's going to be the next one to build one. Just send him your spare parts. GPster

sodbuster

Opps, I thought that it was PPP. I think that Sumner goes by 1FATGMC?

purplepickup

Oh, I think I misunderstood. :oops:   I thought HRM did a piece on Hooley's car.  If it was something submitted, I didn't do it.
George

1FATGMC

Quote from: "sodbuster"the pix in the magazine is the one that I think that I took right after the run.

Chris Nelson
Kansas

Hi Chris, yes that is your picture.  Sorry you didn't get credit for it.  I e-mailed the picture and a short story and a link to my site to see if they would be interested in doing anything with all of that.  Well they published the letter and I didn't know they would do that, so I didn't get to give you credit for the "great picture".  Thanks again for that picture and the other ones that you sent.

The "Letter of the month" in Hot Rod is in the December 2004 issue on page 16.  Also this month's issue has their B'ville coverage from this year.

For the rest of you we have also added a page on my site about the construction of the car with pictures.  You can get to the construction pictures and the B'ville story with the following links.

Hooley's 207 MPH Run  

The Stude's Construction Story  

c ya, Sum

sodbuster

No problem about the "credit". I called everone and anyone that I knew and told them about it. Here is the pix from the HAMB that someone scanned:

41woodie

I'm new to the group so I don't know all of the personalities involved but this was just a great story and terrific photos.  Hooley's my hero!! My best friend and I have dreamed of running Bonneville before we're too old to stand without help and since we're from the Tulsa/Muskogee Oklahoma area where, based on the story, Hooley must be from it hit even closer to home that we're not getting any younger.  Better looking maybe but definitely not younger. MH

1FATGMC

Quote from: "41woodie"I'm new to the group so I don't know all of the personalities involved but this was just a great story and terrific photos.  Hooley's my hero!! My best friend and I have dreamed of running Bonneville before we're too old to stand without help and since we're from the Tulsa/Muskogee Oklahoma area where, based on the story, Hooley must be from it hit even closer to home that we're not getting any younger.  Better looking maybe but definitely not younger. MH

He is from Chelsea on old 66.  You couldn't meet a nicer guy.  Run by his place, he is a mailman so everyone knows him, and check out the car.

c ya, Sum

41woodie

Quote from: "1FATGMC"He is from Chelsea on old 66.  You couldn't meet a nicer guy.  Run by his place, he is a mailman so everyone knows him, and check out the car.

c ya, Sum[/quote]

Ok, yeah Chelsea is on the other side of Tulsa from me but my wife and I drove part of old 66 last weekend so I'm quite familiar with the area.  If any of the folks get a chance to drive 66 between Okla. City and Tulsa it's a nice winding drive, road in good condition and lots to see.  In Arcadia is the neatest old round barn that is open to the public.
Anyway the B-ville story blew me away, I forwarded it to buddy in Tulsa to get him wound up about  building a Bonneville car.  Not too fast just fun. MH