Mustang 11 again.

Started by 48ford, October 27, 2004, 10:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

Hi ,
I have a chance to pick up a mustang 11 that has P/s rack.
our 46 ford still has a beam axle,with p/s from a saginaw box,but the ride sucks,she hits hard(new posies spring)and shocks.
now just how much am i geting into using this front end from the mustang?
or should i just slip in another chrysler front end?
please advise as i have never did a mustang 11.
p.s. the car has a 400 chevy in it.
thanks Russ&Irene

paul2748

Your best bet in using a MII is to get an aftermarket kit.  Forget the stock MII crossmember.  There are a number of companies who sell these.  May be more expensive, but will be easier to do and probably be safer.  I have one in my 48 Ford and love it.  You will need the rack,  A arms and brakes off the MII unless you want to go with the ones the aftermarket companies have.  One of the best things to do is replace the stock MII rotors with 11 inchers and the bigger calipers (aftermarket kits)

enjenjo

Paul is right. I have done them both ways, and the kit crossmembers are much easier, and considerably stronger. I would also spring for a tubular strut rod kit too. I have done 46 to 48 Fords with both the stock Mustang brakes, and the big brake kits, they are all good if set up right. My 47 Chevy had Mustang II brakes, and they worked fine, my 48 I am building now will have them too.

Some people have issues with particular kits, I have used most of them, and find they all work pretty good IF YOU FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS. My Favorite is sold by Weedeater, made by Roger Hart. It does set the car low though. Some others I have used, Heidts, Fatman, Progressive, Michael Thomas, and Larry Tews.

On the PS rack, I thimk you would be happier with an 80's Tbird rack, they are a bolt in for most of the kits, and are less sensitive than the Mustang II rack.

On most 46 to 48 Fords I have done, a 4 cylinder Moog replacement spring worked fine.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crafty

As the others said, buy a crossmember kit and use all the other bits from the mustang. That way you can upgrade as you go - big brake kit is simply a bolt on, later you could move to tube arms, maybe if you decided to bag it.

not sure if anyone does a bolt in corssmember for the fords if you're a bit wary of the conversion ?

48ford

Thanks for the help,I found an artical in rod&costom that walks you through it.
looks like it's eazy to keep the chevy bolt pattern too.
Another project
Thanks Russ

Crosley.In.AZ

in the discussion of using the mustang II brakes in this appication....

are you speaking of using a 5 lug 9 inch brake  rotor?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Dirk35

Ill third or fourth  (whatever number in line I am) the USE A AFTERMARKET CROSSMEMBER!

You can use the MII crossmember and make it fit, but itll still look just like THAT.....that you used it and MADE it fit, instead of doing things well.  Also, once you clean it up, youll notice that it is actually two peices of stamped metal spot welded together and then welded tot he frame rails of the MII. It can be done, but youll be far ahead to spend the $300 for a good aftermarket one. Its really not that much.

I used a Larry Towes one, but he doesnt make them anymore that I know of. I wish I had gottem him to make me a few of his generic ones as their top quality.

Far as the other stuff off the MII, if it has the 4 lug rotors, plan on the $90 for 5 lug rotors also.

Check the bushings on the A arms, if their worn, their a pain to replace and youll probably be ahead to just buy repo top and bottom arms from Heights, rather than replace the bushing.....if you like me that is and consider the time and labor vs cost of the repo arms....which are not that expensive, and add that to your price.

After you get it all set up, most I know have had to use dropped spindles also.

In the end, next time, Ill just buy the parts seperatly.......but, thats only ME. Oh yeah, I only paid $250 for my MII before cutting it all up.

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with!