Rear Shocks

Started by rick 36dodge, October 13, 2004, 08:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick 36dodge

For my winter project I am going to remove the 68 year old rear leaf springs from my 36 Dodge.
I plan to use Dodge Caravan 5 leaf springs. I also am going to put on new shocks.  Any suggestion about shocks. I am going to have to make a crossmember to mount them.  Also what angle to mount them. I have read a lot of articles that suggest 20 to 30 degrees.
Thanks for all your great advice.
Rick Harris   :D

rumrumm

20-30 degrees is correct. As far as the type or brand of shock, I have always used Gabriel gas charged shocks when I go to replace the originals. I have had no problems and they do come with a lifetime warranty. A friend of mine said he likes his Edelbrock shocks, but I have no experience with theirs personally.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

rick 36dodge

Quote from: "rumrumm"20-30 degrees is correct. As far as the type or brand of shock, I have always used Gabriel gas charged shocks when I go to replace the originals. I have had no problems and they do come with a lifetime warranty. A friend of mine said he likes his Edelbrock shocks, but I have no experience with theirs personally.
Thanks for the info, but what car are the shocks for ?  So when I go the auto parts store I can ask for a year and make.
Thanks, Rick Harris.

purplepickup

Quote from: "rick 36dodge"... what car are the shocks for ?  So when I go the auto parts store I can ask for a year and make.
Thanks, Rick Harris.
Rick, once you get the springs and crossmember installed measure the length between mounting points and either take that to your parts guy or post it here.  A bunch of us have shock catalogs that show fully extended and fully compressed shock lengths with different mounting configurations, and can give you a part number or year and make application.

Usually your parts store will give you one of their outdated catalogs if you ask for it.  They're real handy when it comes time to pick what shock to use.
George

rick 36dodge

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "rick 36dodge"... what car are the shocks for ?  So when I go the auto parts store I can ask for a year and make.
Thanks, Rick Harris.
Rick, once you get the springs and crossmember installed measure the length between mounting points and either take that to your parts guy or post it here.  A bunch of us have shock catalogs that show fully extended and fully compressed shock lengths with different mounting configurations, and can give you a part number or year and make application.

Usually your parts store will give you one of their outdated catalogs if you ask for it.  They're real handy when it comes time to pick what shock to use.
Thanks , Rick Harris

purplepickup

As an afterthought......You might want to consider what sizes and styles are readily available while you're designing your setup.  You can always compensate for length by locating the mounts accordingly.  I'm speaking from experience because when I built my pickup the shock that fit the best on the mounts I had already made was from a fifty-something Corvette....not real easy to get. :oops:   I changed the mounts to fit a more common Ford Ranger shock.
George

SKR8PN

Rick...one more thought on your springs................
Try to find a new style Caravan/Voyager/Town&Country. They have the really NICE mono-leafs under them,and most of the wrecking yards around here are FULL of them. Full=Cheap !!!
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

rick 36dodge

Quote from: "SKR8PN"Rick...one more thought on your springs................
Try to find a new style Caravan/Voyager/Town&Country. They have the really NICE mono-leafs under them,and most of the wrecking yards around here are FULL of them. Full=Cheap !!!

Thanks ,but I have already got some Caravan springs for $50.00.  I will check out the mono leafs.
I also got some good traction bars. I understand that Caravan springs don't like engine torque.
Thanks for all your help !!!
Rick Harris.

enjenjo

QuoteI understand that Caravan springs don't like engine torque.

Not necessarily true. They make all wheel drive Caravans, and they use the same rear springs. The problem is usually the position of the shocks. If they are angled in, they do nothing to resist wheel hop. If they are both angled forward or rearward, they do very little to resist wheel hop. If you angle one forward, and one rearward, they are most effective at controlling wheel hop. I have used the Caravan springs in the past with no problems wih the shocks set up staggered.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

You can find shocks here,in your choice of dimensions and mounts.
http://www.monroe.com/catalog_lookup/ocl_miscappinfo.asp

SKR8PN

"I also got some good traction bars. I understand that Caravan springs don't like engine torque. "

Unless your running slicks,you prolly won't be needing those traction bars....... The front segment length on those caravan springs should be strong enough to handle your power on street tires,even if you don't stagger the shocks like Enjenjo suggested. If you DO need to strengthen the front segments,you can do it like they did the Super Stock springs. Just add 1/2 leafs. That way,you don't increase ride height,or change ride quality.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "SKR8PN""I also got some good traction bars. I understand that Caravan springs don't like engine torque. "

Unless your running slicks,you prolly won't be needing those traction bars....... The front segment length on those caravan springs should be strong enough to handle your power on street tires,even if you don't stagger the shocks like Enjenjo suggested. If you DO need to strengthen the front segments,you can do it like they did the Super Stock springs. Just add 1/2 leafs. That way,you don't increase ride height,or change ride quality.

Given the fact that *most* of the OEM-style shocks that I have run across my shock dyno have approximately 25 to 50 percent MORE rebound  resistance than compression resistance at most common street-driven shaft velocities (1-4 i.p.s.), I would tend to think that mounting BOTH shocks to the rear of the axle would provide the best resistance to spring wrapup under acceleration.

Depending upon the anti-dive that is defined by the spring mounting, it should not be a factor in decelleration. Just keep the projected line between the front spring eye and the centerbolt near-level....even though the front portion of the spring might curve a bit.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

rick 36dodge

Quote from: "Bob Paulin"
Quote from: "SKR8PN""I also got some good traction bars. I understand that Caravan springs don't like engine torque. "

Given the fact that *most* of the OEM-style shocks that I have run across my shock dyno have approximately 25 to 50 percent MORE rebound  resistance than compression resistance at most common street-driven shaft velocities (1-4 i.p.s.), I would tend to think that mounting BOTH shocks to the rear of the axle would provide the best resistance to spring wrapup under acceleration.

Depending upon the anti-dive that is defined by the spring mounting, it should not be a factor in decelleration. Just keep the projected line between the front spring eye and the centerbolt near-level....even though the front portion of the spring might curve a bit.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will ditch the traction bars. I have some 69 Camaro lower  staggered shocks plates I can use. I have one question about ride height. If the ride height is too high should I remove a leaf or lower the rear shackle(not use the bracket , but bore a hole in my frame and add a lenght of tubing for the top of the shackle).  I have the 5 leaf spring from a Caravan , and I hope that it is not too stiff.
Thanks again for alllll your help.
Rick Harris.