Wiring a electric choke with a Ford alternator

Started by junkyardjeff, June 16, 2021, 10:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

If my memory is correct when a Ford car has a electric or electric assist choke its wired to the alternator so where is it hooked up.

Crosley.In.AZ

Many OEM vehicle used electric warmed up chokes in the day.  They need  12v power when the engine is running.  I have never seen one of these chokes wired to the alternator as I recall
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

sirstude

I have always wired the electric choke to the hot side of the wiper motor.  It's handy and fused.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

tomslik

used to use the white wire at the alt on 60's fords...did't want to have power to the choke if the motor wasn't running.
this was a while ago and my memory may not be working correctly...;)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

junkyardjeff

I thought I remembered the wire going to the alternator,I always put a manual choke carb on  and never paid any attention to where the wire actually hooked up.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"used to use the white wire at the alt on 60's fords...did't want to have power to the choke if the motor wasn't running.

Piggy back on to the eggciter wire to the alternator eh?  Never seen that.  Very good.  Thanks for visiting the RRT
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "tomslik"used to use the white wire at the alt on 60's fords...did't want to have power to the choke if the motor wasn't running.

Piggy back on to the eggciter wire to the alternator eh?  Never seen that.  Very good.  Thanks for visiting the RRT

ford did it from the factory
i try not to use a B+ supply as if you just be sitting there with the key on, the chock will come off
speaking of which, i've got a 68 camaro (not mine)that i need to do that to....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

wayne petty

ford used the STATOR voltage STA on the alternator or S on the regulator to supply current to the electric choke thermostat..

the stator has current only when the alternator is charging.. and it will have almost exactly half of the alternator output but in AC volts not DC..

and this will NOT effect charging voltage at all..

the voltage regulator uses the Stator waveform as a tachometer signal to keep the field output from the regulator at the same duty cycle to control the rotor windings to keep the charging system from surging when you rev up the engine..

the Field output from the regulator does not just pulse Positive voltage to the spinning rotor winding.. it pulses Positive to increase the rotor field strength..  and it pulses Negative to dampen the rotor field strength..  perhaps 3 times per alternator revolution.

slightly off thread.. but everybody should have printed copies of this test.. https://i.imgur.com/kviX0VQ.jpg

i assembled that almost 20 years ago. i have reduced my alternator failures to almost zero.  by reducing voltage drops.. i find that even computerized cars work better..

junkyardjeff

Found out I had a factory wiring diagram for this car and hooked it up to the white wire with the black strip and the choke would not open,carb came off a car that sat for many years in a junkyard so the thermostat is probably junk and probably will not be able to find one so will probably be converted to a manual choke.